Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really big equation systems

1. Nov 21, 2003 #1
    I'm trying to calculate the probability for a particle to penetrate a potential well. The problem is that to calculate this, one must solve an equation system that becomes to big. I tried solving it using a matrix and inverting that, but half way, the matrix didn't even fit on my computer screen...

These are the equations:

[tex]e^{ika} + Re^{-ika} = Ae^{ima} + Be^{-ima}[/tex]
    [tex]Te^{ikb} = Ae^{imb} + Be^{-imb}[/tex]
    [tex]ke^{ika} - Rkae^{-ika} = mAe^{ima} - mBe^{-ima}[/tex]
    [tex]kTe^{ikb} = imAe^{imb} - mBe^{-imb}[/tex]

I tried substituting some common parts, but that didn't help much. How can I solve this? What method should I use?

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2003 #2

Homework Helper

I'm counting eight unkowns and only 4 equations. Are the m, k, a, and b given? If so, then this system is straightforward: just use either the first and third or second and last equations to solve for A and B in terms of either R or T. Then, use this expression in the remaining two equations to solve for R and T.

I'm not so sure I understand the physical situation here. Are you approximating the wavefunction in a momentum eigenstate that has a positive energy with respect to the potential at infinity?
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  4. Nov 21, 2003 #3
    Thanks for responding!
    There are 4 unknowns.

k and m is given by a differential equation (schrödingers time independent equation)

a and b are limits for a barrier (start and end).

What I need is R, T, A and B.
    Generally, it is not very hard to solve a system of 4 equations. The problem with this one is that the expressions become to big to handle.

The physical aspect of this problem is to calculate the probability for a particle to pass through a barrier (a potential well). There's a probability to find the particle before the barrier, given by Schrödingers time independent equation:

[tex]\psi (x) = e^{ikx} + R e^{-ikx}[/tex] (incoming and reflected wave)

There's a probability to find the particle in the barrier, given by [tex]\psi (x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}[/tex]

And there's a probability to find the particle after the barrier, given by

[tex]\psi (x) = Te^{ikx}[/tex] (One direction only).

These three functions should be connected in x=a and x=b, so it gives a continginous function. This gives 2 equations. 2 more equations can be derived, giving 4 functions and 4 unknowns - an equation system.

So the variables that should be calculated are R, T, A and B, where [tex]|T|^2[/tex] is the probability for the particle to penetrate the barrier.

It shouldn't be that hard to solve this, but I haven't done equation systems for a while. I would really appreciate some help...

Thanks in advance,
  5. Nov 21, 2003 #4

Homework Helper

OK, what I said in my previous post should solve the equation, but there seems to be something missing. I am suspicious that the incident wave is not properly normalized. Shouldn't you leave the coefficient of the incident part arbitrary at this point, and then include a fifth equation:

|I|2 = |R|2 + |T|2?

I don't remember this problem exactly, and could certainly be wrong about this, so please don't take this the wrong way. I just don't want you to do the work for nothing.
  6. Dec 27, 2010 #5
    YOu only need those three equations.

such that each is < 1, (for probability)

remember... different mediums gives you independent probs and you can say (prob1)*(prob2)*Prob3 gives you total probability (5th equation)

such that total prob < 1

through out the complex plane, sum of forces (from physics) (its all decaying or reverse anyway, regardless of the incendent angle, remember... i haven't done the problem.

through out e, maybe use 2.5 or something -to see if the computer is messing you up.
  7. Dec 27, 2010 #6
    I'd hate tot take to prob eq form ya , but if yo can figure out how to thorw th complex plane away, it's probably all you need.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?