1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really big formula

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    You are confronted with the following formula:

A * [(B + C)(D - E) - F(G*H) ] / J = 10

Knowing that each variable is a unique, single-digit, nonzero number, and that C - B = 1, and H - G = 3, what is the number ABCDEFGHJ, where each letter is a digit? For example, if A = 4, B = 2, and C = 7, ABC would equal 427.

I tried to set up some rwalsionship but I cannot elimante enough variblies to move on with the proplem. can anyone help please.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2
    This would be easy to solve by computer. There is a very finite list of numbers to check.

4. Dec 3, 2006 #3
    Haha I like your teacher. This is my kind of problem. Give me a moment.

5. Dec 3, 2006 #4
    Right off the bat it tells you C - B = 1. This tells you something about C + B. In particular it tells you C + B = odd number. This becomes very important as you are asked to multiply (B + C) (D - E).

6. Dec 3, 2006 #5
    Actually I guess it's not that important. But if you seperate the equation to be:

(A/J) * [(B + C)(D - E) - F(G*H) ] = 10

This tells you A/J either = 2 or = 5, as there is no way to get a fraction from what's left. Now we know A/J must = 2. Because in order for A/J to = 5, A must be 10 and J must be 2. This violates our condition that all letters are single digits.

And there are only a few possibilities for A/J. 4/2, 6/3, or 8/4.

7. Dec 3, 2006 #6
    Ok I guess it is important that B + C is odd afterall.

We have an equation H - G = 3. This tells us H - G is odd. Because either H must be odd and G even, or H must be even and G odd. An odd number * an even number gives an even number. So GH is an even number, likewise FGH must be an even number.

This tells us (B+C)(D-E) must be odd, because (B + C)(D - E) - F(G*H) = 5.

8. Dec 3, 2006 #7
    A = 6, J = 3.

9. Dec 3, 2006 #8
    Ok I lied. A could also be = 2, and J = 1.

10. Dec 4, 2006 #9
    i am still not understanding where you want be to go from here. I realize what you are talking about with the odd numbers. How do i figure out which numbers are the correct ones to use. with A and j having 3 different possiblies

11. Dec 5, 2006 #10
    anyone else know anything else?

12. Dec 6, 2006 #11
    The reason you didn't get a straight answer is because you didn't copy the problem down correctly.

A * [(B + C)^(D - E) - F^(G*H) ] / J = 10

they were exponents not products. I've seen this problem before is how I know.

now you can get the right answer:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?