Can You Solve This Challenging Puzzle from HighIQSociety.org?

• Thread starter theonerester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary: Sorry if this was confusing.In summary, this is a difficult puzzle from highiqsociety.org. Mr. ahrkron has been trying to solve it for a very long time, but has not had any luck. The missing number is 27. Add all the numbers and you get 757. The answer is also found by randomly placing numbers into the squares. Mr. ahrkron's approach was to imagine the provinces fighting over land and producing the same amount of rice. If x is the number behind the question mark, then r is the amount of rice produced and y is a common sum of the rows and columns. A simplified version of this equation can be found using the matrix notation.
theonerester
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
very difficult :D

The missing number is 27
Add all the numbers = 757
And this is on a quare shown
so 784 = 27* 27

You make some assumption, I think. :)

27*27 = 729, not 784.

28*28 = 784.

However, you could also say that the area of the missing piece is 84, so that the total area is 841 (=29*29).

sorry Mr. ahrkron,
You are right...it could be 28 or 84...

It seems like it is just to confuse you with the shapes within the square. I was able to set the square up into a grid. With the grid( I may be pulling at straws here) it seems like the answer would be 45.
-Scott

This puzzle was approached on this forum.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14658

I will bet any money that they have no clue ether.

And actually it’s straight forward “honest” puzzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
neo143 said:
sorry Mr. ahrkron,
You are right...it could be 28 or 84...
or 143 (30^2-757)
or 204 (31...)
or 267 (32...)
or...

Sorry, no dice. These problems have unambiguous answers.

My guess is the numbers are related to the angles that the individual shapes contain. A different value for 90 degrees, more than 90, or less than 90.

Possibly the number is then subtracted from or added to a constant.

I

It think the shapes are arbitrary. I think the only correlation is the numbers and their neighbours. There are some tantalizing correlations when factoring the numbers, but nothing jumps out.

Ok here is the approach I took. I have too many Math finals coming up anyways so I won't be solving this myself. Anyone who knows linear algebra is welcome to try this, I have no clue if it will work. But here it goes:

After playing with the shapes and sums of numbers I realized that the numbers don't appear to describe the shapes. So I took the following outlook on the situation. Assume that the shapes represent provinces. Each province produces the same amount of rice each year, no matter its size.

This means that if the barriers changed and the provinces moved around, that, the amount of rice produced would stay the same. I then realized that the shapes can basically be anything you want them to be, because they aren't representative of the numbers (as long as there are 16 of them).

I decided to redraw the big square into 16 equal squares (since there are 16 shapes). I put the numbers randomly into any square (imagine the provinces fighting over land and moving around but still producing the same amount of rice.

Then it dawned on me that if x were to be the number behind the question mark, r were to be the amount of (lets say) rice prduced by all provinces including x, and y would be some value that is a common sum within the rows/columns of my grid, then solving the puzzle is just a matter of finding three equations in three variables (with no two equations alike).

I took [r = 757 + x], [r - x = 3y + (y - x)], and I haven't actually figured out the equation relating y and r. I'm thinking along the lines of [4r = y/4].
However, if the relation [y] between the numbers is incorrect, then the answer you get from solving the system would be correct but not the one they are looking for. Though if you can actually find a [y] variable which every row/column sum to, I'd say you're on the right track.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/medrawuc/squarepuzzlesolution.jpg"

Anyways, give it a try if you are good at this stuff, my brain will be overloaded from Math in a few days anyways so I'm going to lay off of it for now. :zzz:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have my answer, using your approach:

r = 804
y = 201
x = 47

here is the matrix i made:

74 66 49 57
42 33 62 41
55 42 47 56
30 60 43 47

Thanks, I was really hoping someone would pick that up. Does anyone know if it's correct?

Isn't [r - x = 3y + (y - x)] just r=4y?

So if 47 was a valid solution then so would 51 be. You'd just have to change the values of r and y.

r=808
y=202

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Yes that's the simplified formula, but I wanted to be clear on how that formula came about, hence the sort of redundant equation.

As for changing [y] and [r]: Then its just a random answer. My approach was based on the idea that all the columns add to a certain value, that value, as we now see, is 201. If you made [y] 202 then 3 of the columns would add to 201 and the last one would add to 202. Thus defeating the entire purpose of the [y] variable.

1. What makes a puzzle really challenging?

A puzzle can be considered really challenging if it requires a high level of critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and creativity to solve. It should also have multiple layers or steps that need to be completed in a specific order.

2. How can I improve my puzzle-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve your puzzle-solving skills, such as practicing regularly, trying different types of puzzles, and seeking help or advice from other puzzle enthusiasts. You can also work on developing your logic, spatial reasoning, and pattern recognition abilities.

3. Are there any benefits to solving challenging puzzles?

Yes, there are many benefits to solving challenging puzzles. It can improve problem-solving skills, enhance memory and concentration, reduce stress, and increase creativity. It can also be a fun and engaging way to pass the time.

4. Are some people better at solving puzzles than others?

While some people may have a natural aptitude for solving puzzles, anyone can improve their skills with practice and dedication. It's also important to note that different types of puzzles may require different strengths and abilities, so someone may excel at one type of puzzle but struggle with another.

5. How can I tell if a puzzle is too challenging for me?

If you find yourself feeling frustrated, overwhelmed, or stuck on a puzzle for an extended period of time, it may be too challenging for you. It's important to take breaks and come back to it later, or seek help from others if needed. Remember, it's okay to start with easier puzzles and work your way up to more challenging ones.