Engineering or Medicine: Which Path Should I Choose for University?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on deciding between pursuing a career in medicine, which their parents want them to do, and pursuing a degree in engineering and science for research purposes. They are concerned about potential regrets and the difficulty of medicine, but also the stability and potential for jobs in the field. They are also unsure about job possibilities in engineering and science. Ultimately, they are still unsure and will consider different options, such as graduate medicine, in the future.
Synchronised
Really confused, need advice :(

Hi,
Most of you have much more experience than me, you went through the decision making process before uni so I really hope that you can help me here.
I am in my final year of high school, got about 10 month left before my final exams. I am doing extremely well in all my subjects, I am way ahead of school to the point that I'm almost done with all subjects (except English).
My parents want me to get into medicine, because most of my cousins are medicine students/doctors but I hate medicine, I do not want to do it, I honestly don't enjoy it and I do not care about the money a doctor can make, medicine is full of rote learning, I have to understand people, deal with people all day etc...
What I truly want to do at uni is BEng(R&D)/BSc and get into either defense industries or energy industries, it's a combined engineering+science degree designed for people who want to get into research which I am a fan of.
Am I going to regret this decision? I have to make the decision now, because if I want to do medicine I have to start preparing for admission tests and interviews from now so...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Synchronised said:
Am I going to regret this decision?

You haven't given us any information that would allow us to answer this. What would be the reason for the regret?

What country's educational system are we talking about?

Synchronised said:
I have to make the decision now, because if I want to do medicine I have to start preparing for admission tests and interviews from now so...
Huh? Aren't those tests and interviews four years in the future, and aren't they going to be based on subjects you will be learning over the next four years?

Last edited:

It can be difficult to have a desire that's in conflict with an "expected" family direction.

But it sounds like you're not taking it lightly. It might be different if you wanted to, for example, not got to school at all, avoid getting a job and live off of welfare for a couple of years while you find yourself. Engineering is a respectable, fulfilling, and rewarding profession and if you think you'll enjoy it then by all means you should explore that option.

Remember, your parents aren't the ones who are going to have to do the work. And, if after a few year you think you would have preferred to do medicine, switching course is an option.

My oldest cousin got into medicine about 14 years ago, completed a PhD in general surgery and now working on a second PhD on digestive tract tumors. He literally has not started working yet... he is about 32 years old now, married and has 3 children, however, his wife is a general practitioner so she provides money for the family until he starts working and they live in a rented apartment. I do not want to be like that, I know his studies have the potential to save people's lives but I get depressed by simply thinking about my life as a medicine student, my knowledge will be limited to one thing in the whole universe, the human body.
I really like physics and engineering so I thought this degree is perfect if I do physics major for science degree.
When I said I might regret my decision in the future I was thinking about jobs, medicine is difficult but people say it provides a very stable job with very good salary and almost no doctor is unemployed. My dream is to work as a research scientist/engineer for the defense force, developing new technologies and machines for the army but I don't know how possible that is :(

From your posts in a different thread, I guess you're in Australia. I don't know how the Australian university system works. Here in the US, there would be no need to make any decision like this so early in your life. My advice to an American student would be to take, say, physics and biology your first semester. Find out which one you seem to be better at. You don't have to pick a specific career ("research scientist/engineer for the defense force") this early in your life. College isn't job training, it's an education.

bcrowell said:
From your posts in a different thread, I guess you're in Australia. I don't know how the Australian university system works. Here in the US, there would be no need to make any decision like this so early in your life. My advice to an American student would be to take, say, physics and biology your first semester. Find out which one you seem to be better at. You don't have to pick a specific career ("research scientist/engineer for the defense force") this early in your life. College isn't job training, it's an education.

I just had a discussion with my dad and he really wants me to do medicine, but as you said it is too early to make a final decision now, if I didn't like engineering I can always do graduate medicine which is also offered at ANU.
Thank you for the help guys :)

1. Why am I feeling so confused?

Feeling confused is a common experience and can be caused by a variety of factors such as stress, lack of sleep, or changes in routine. It is important to identify the root cause of your confusion in order to find the best solution for it.

2. How can I get out of this state of confusion?

The first step to getting out of a state of confusion is to take a step back and try to identify the source of your confusion. Once you have identified the cause, you can then work on finding a solution. This may involve seeking advice from others, taking a break to clear your mind, or seeking professional help.

3. Is confusion a sign of a more serious issue?

In most cases, feeling confused is a normal and temporary experience. However, if you are experiencing confusion on a regular basis and it is significantly impacting your daily life, it is important to seek help from a medical professional. Confusion can sometimes be a symptom of an underlying physical or mental health issue.

4. How can I prevent feeling confused in the future?

Preventing feelings of confusion can involve identifying and managing stress, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and practicing good communication skills. It is also helpful to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as these can help you navigate confusing situations more effectively.

5. Can talking to someone help me when I am feeling confused?

Yes, talking to someone can be a valuable tool in managing feelings of confusion. It can offer a different perspective, provide emotional support, and help you work through the root cause of your confusion. It is important to reach out to someone you trust, such as a friend, family member, or therapist, for advice and support.