Really confused on graphical determinations of speed vs. time data

In summary: But I could be wrong. If you take a look at the first graph, it is drawn in a way where you can see the data points and the spread. The second graph is drawn without including the data points, and just shows the line. This can be helpful when you are trying to find the average, but it is less helpful when trying to see the data.2) WHy is a graphical determination of the avg velocity obtained from the slope of a best-fit line drawn for the data more accurate than calculating several velocities over small time intervals and averaging them together?Not sure?If you are averaging a lot of velocities together, then it might be more accurate to use the graphing program.
terpsgirl
I'm taking physics as a summer course and am having trouble on 3 questions in my pre-lab. I can't really explain...

1) Why is a graphical determination of the avg velocity obtained from the slope of a best-fit line drawn for the data more accurate than simply dividing the total distance by the total time?

I said it's more accurate because it shows you visually the data points and the spread.

2) WHy is a graphical determination of the avg velocity obtained from the slope of a best-fit line drawn for the data more accurate than calculating several velocities over small time intervals and averaging them together?Not sure?

3) Why is it more accurate to use the UGRAFIT Graphing Program to graphy, draw and determine the slpe of the best-fit line than to do the same by hand on a piece of graphy paper?

I said because sometimes when you end up w/ a lot of data it is more convienient and faster to do the data through the program because it comes out cleaner and saves time.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Why is a graphical determination of the avg velocity obtained from the slope of a best-fit line drawn for the data more accurate than simply dividing the total distance by the total time?

It isn't.

2) WHy is a graphical determination of the avg velocity obtained from the slope of a best-fit line drawn for the data more accurate than calculating several velocities over small time intervals and averaging them together?

It isn't, if you average enough velocities.

3) Why is it more accurate to use the UGRAFIT Graphing Program to graphy, draw and determine the slpe of the best-fit line than to do the same by hand on a piece of graphy paper?

LOL! Your instructor's third question completely contradicts his first, since the graphing program divides the total distance by the total time. (Although it shows you a picture of a slope, it doesn't actually physically measure the sides of the slope triangle like you would when doing them by hand.)

Why?

JohnDubYa said:

It isn't.

Why is this? My answer was that it was more accurate.

1. What is the purpose of creating a speed vs. time graph?

The purpose of creating a speed vs. time graph is to visually represent the relationship between an object's speed and the time it takes to cover a certain distance. This graph can help scientists analyze the motion of an object and make predictions about its future movement.

2. How do you determine the speed from a speed vs. time graph?

The speed of an object can be determined by finding the slope of the line on the speed vs. time graph. The steeper the slope, the faster the object is moving. The slope can be calculated by dividing the change in speed by the change in time.

3. What does a straight line on a speed vs. time graph indicate?

A straight line on a speed vs. time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant speed. This means that the object is covering the same distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a constant slope on the graph.

4. What can a curved line on a speed vs. time graph tell us?

A curved line on a speed vs. time graph indicates that the object's speed is changing over time. The shape of the curve can provide information about the object's acceleration. A steep curve indicates a faster acceleration, while a shallow curve indicates a slower acceleration.

5. How can you use a speed vs. time graph to analyze an object's motion?

A speed vs. time graph can help you analyze an object's motion by providing information about its speed, acceleration, and changes in direction. By examining the slope and shape of the graph, you can make predictions about the object's future movement and determine if it is moving at a constant speed or changing speeds. This type of analysis is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports science.