1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really dumb Ohm's Law question

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    A 12.0 V battery has an internal resistance r. The measured voltage (emf of the battery) is 12.0 V. When connected to a resistor R the terminal voltage is 11.7 V and the current is 0.10 Amperes. What is the value of the external resistor R in ohm?

Ok I thought the problem was simple but for some reason I keep getting it wrong. (E denotes electromotive force). I set up conservation of energy like this:

E - V(resistor) = 11.7

E = 12 in this case and V = i*R = 0.1*R
    so..

12 - 0.1*R = 11.7

R equals 3 from my equation but it's wrong. Dead wrong. Any ideas? It's the language that seems most unclear to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2
    Try this:
    [tex]I_{T}=\frac{V_{applied}}{R_{T}}[/tex]
    and remember what the total resistance is in this case.

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    Maybe my problem is more how the question is worded.. here is what I interpreted from what you said. A simple yea or nay will either send me back to the books or confirm I understood something:

It = Vapplied/Rt

since the resistors (r and R) are in parallel, Rt = R + r. Current is constant in the system so It = 0.1a but I'm a little confused as to what Vapplied is. Is that the emf? So I'm left with

0.1 = 12V / (r + R) but now I have two unknowns. ugh. Undoubtedly little r was given to me in the question but I'm having trouble wading through the semantics. I see that I haven't used that 11.7 yet.

Edit wait: emf = 0.1 * r right? So r must be 1.2..

0.1 = 12V / (1.2 + R)

R = 118.8? Edit again: Got it right. Thanks I can be so nearsighted sometimes. That was discussed in the lecture I came from not two days ago!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?