1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really easy question

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1
    ok i have been given a number of trig problems, and i have not taken trig for about 2 years, now i can remeber how to do the problems, but for the life of me i can't remeber how to get the answer...

ok here is the problem:
    sin 2x + cos x = 0; 0<x<2 pi

here is what i got

sin 2x + cos x = 0
    2 sin x cos x + cos x = 0
    cos x = 0 2 sin x + 1 = 0
    sin x = -1/2

here is my problem...

can some one explain to me how do i go from cos x = 0 to x = pi/2

at one point i knew this i just don't remeber... grr so frustrating...

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2
    Draw the unit circle, a point on the circle has the form (cos(a), sin(a)). Thus cos(a) is 0 precisely when... (fill in the blank ;)).

4. Aug 21, 2004 #3
    Muzza thanks for the response but unfortunatly it made no sense to me...

but i did ask one of my roomates that just walked in the door and he said that if do cos^-1 0 i get 90 so thats pi/2 and then add 180 to 90 gives me 3pi/2 and this make sense to me,

but anyway are these answers right

x = π/2,3π/2
    x = -π/6,-5π/6

but since x = -π/6,-5π/6 is not inside of 0<x<2n then the only answer are x = π/2,3π/2...

yes no or wrong?

5. Aug 21, 2004 #4
    Well, remember that you can add any (integer) multiple of 2pi to any solution of sin(x) = -1/2 and get another solution. Thus -pi/6 + 2pi = 11pi/6 < 2pi and -5pi/6 + 2pi = 7pi/6 < 2pi are also valid solutions...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  6. Aug 21, 2004 #5
    oh forgot about that thanks...

7. Aug 25, 2004 #6
    the easiest way is liek said before, the unit circle.

Imagine an X-Y axis. Draw a circle around it.
    We let X = cos(theta) and Y= sin(theta)

So if you start on the X-axis, on the right, youre at 0 for Y and "1" for X (assuming the radius of the circle is 1)

The angle theta is just the angle around the circle. At (0,1) theta is 0, so we know that Cos(0) = 1 and Sin(0) = 0
    If you look at 90 degrees, basically on the Y axis, we are at (1,0). So the x component, Cosine, is 0 at 90 degrees. 90 degrees is also 1/4th of a circle, which is 1/4th or 2*Pi, or Pi/2.

This is the basic idea behind a unit circle. It really helps when you use 2d vectors in physics too for projectile motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?