Vector Addition: Finding Resultant and Direction - Easy Homework Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant of three vectors with given magnitudes and angles in different quadrants. Using trigonometric functions, the magnitude and direction of the resultant are calculated to be 3.64 and -58.5 degrees, respectively. However, for clarity, more information should be provided to specify the direction accurately.
seizureboi

Homework Statement

I have three vectors and I need to find the resultant of the three vectors and direction.

Homework Equations

*All angles are with the horizontal

Vector 1 = 18 at an angle of 40 degrees (First Quadrant)
Vector 2 = 10 at an angle of 72 degrees (Second Quandrant)
Vector 3 = 22 at an angle of 55 degrees (Third Quadrant)

The Attempt at a Solution

In the X I got: 18cos(40) - 10cos(72) - 22cos(55) = -1.9
In the Y I got: 18sin(40) + 10 sin(72) - 22sin(55) = 3.1

√(-1.92 + 3.12) = 3.64 is the resultant

tan-1(3.1/-1.9) = -58.5 degrees is the direction/angle

I just need confirmation whether this is right or wrong. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. Well, almost perfect. You should be a little careful with your terminology.

The resultant is a vector, the sum of the three vectors, and it has a magnitude and direction. The 3.64 you found is the magnitude of the resultant, not the resultant itself.

For the direction, you need to be a little careful because arctangent only returns angles between -90 degrees and +90 degrees. You should give a little more information to indicate exactly what the angle is, e.g. which quadrant, measured relative to what, etc.

I can confirm that your solution for finding the resultant and direction of the three given vectors is correct. Your use of trigonometric functions and vector addition principles is appropriate and your final answer of 3.64 for the resultant and -58.5 degrees for the direction is accurate. Keep up the good work!

What is vector addition?

Vector addition is the mathematical process of combining two or more vectors to produce a single vector. It involves adding the magnitudes and directions of the individual vectors to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

Why is vector addition important?

Vector addition is important because it is used to describe and analyze physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration in physics and engineering. It allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects and systems in the real world.

What are the rules for vector addition?

The rules for vector addition are: 1) Vectors must be of the same type (e.g. displacement, velocity, force) to be added. 2) Vectors are added tip-to-tail, meaning the tail of one vector is placed at the tip of the other vector. 3) The resultant vector is drawn from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. 4) The magnitude of the resultant vector is equal to the length of the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. 5) The direction of the resultant vector is given by the angle formed between the resultant vector and the first vector.

How do you perform vector addition graphically?

To perform vector addition graphically, you can use a scale and protractor to measure the magnitude and direction of the individual vectors. Then, draw the vectors to scale on a coordinate plane and use the tail-to-tip method to add them. The resultant vector can then be determined by measuring the length and direction of the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

Can vector addition be performed algebraically?

Yes, vector addition can also be performed algebraically using the components of the vectors. The x- and y-components of each vector can be added separately to determine the x- and y-components of the resultant vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can then be found using trigonometric functions.