Really good (and rigorous) electronics text?

In summary, if you are looking for a mathematically rigorous and intuitive text for analog electronics, I would recommend "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith, or "Fundamentals of Microelectronics" by Razavi. These texts are known for their comprehensive coverage and real-world examples, making them valuable resources for both students and professionals.
Physics_UG
Gold Member
I took two semesters of circuit analysis, two semesters of electronics, two semeters of digital electronics, a semester of optoelectronics, and a semester of solid state electronics. I have a pretty strong background in solid state electronics, opto, digital, and circuits, but I feel like my analog electronics background is weak particularly because I had adjunct professors for the courses, and they really taught the class from more of a practical (or technician's) standpoint. I feel like I lost a lot of rigor of the subject because of this. While the text we used Neaman's Electronic Circuit Analysis and Design, the course was not up to that leve lof rigor, and I really didn't use the textbook much. Also, I think there are better texts out there.

Can someone recommend me a really good, and mathematically rigorous (yet intuitive) text (besides Art of Electronics). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience and concerns about your background in analog electronics. As a scientist with a strong background in electronics, I understand the importance of having a solid foundation in both theory and practical applications.

I would recommend the book "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith. It is a comprehensive and well-respected text that covers both theory and practical applications in analog electronics. It is also known for its mathematical rigor and intuitive explanations, making it a great resource for both students and professionals.

Another book that you may find helpful is "Fundamentals of Microelectronics" by Razavi. It covers a wide range of topics in analog electronics and also includes many real-world examples and applications.

I hope these recommendations will be useful to you in strengthening your understanding of analog electronics. Best of luck in your studies and research.

I completely understand your frustration with not having a strong foundation in analog electronics due to your adjunct professors' teaching approach. It is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals in order to excel in any field of science, including electronics.

I would recommend looking into "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith. This text is known for its rigorous mathematical approach, while also providing intuitive explanations and examples to aid understanding. Additionally, "Fundamentals of Microelectronics" by Razavi is another highly recommended text for its clear and comprehensive coverage of analog electronics.

It is also helpful to supplement your learning with online resources such as lectures, tutorials, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding and fill in any gaps in your knowledge.

Overall, I believe with dedication and the right resources, you can strengthen your background in analog electronics and excel in your future studies and research. Best of luck to you.

1. What makes a really good and rigorous electronics text?

A good and rigorous electronics text should have a comprehensive coverage of fundamental concepts, clear and concise explanations, and plenty of practical examples and exercises. It should also be up-to-date with the latest technologies and advancements in the field.

2. How can I determine the level of rigor in an electronics text?

The level of rigor in an electronics text can be determined by looking at the depth and complexity of the topics covered, the level of mathematical and theoretical analysis, and the inclusion of advanced concepts and applications.

3. Are there any specific authors or publishers known for producing really good and rigorous electronics texts?

Yes, there are several authors and publishers known for producing high-quality and rigorous electronics texts, such as Sedra and Smith, Horowitz and Hill, and Oxford University Press.

4. Can a really good and rigorous electronics text be helpful for beginners?

Absolutely. A good and rigorous electronics text can serve as a solid foundation for beginners in understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of electronics. It can also help them develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

5. What are some important features to look for in a really good and rigorous electronics text?

Some important features to look for in a good and rigorous electronics text include clear and concise explanations, plenty of practical examples and exercises, a comprehensive index and glossary, and access to supplementary materials and resources.