How to Solve Tough Circuit Questions: Current, Power, and Graphing Tricks

In summary, the conversation is about a tough physics question regarding circuits. The link to the picture of the circuit is provided for better understanding. The first question asks for the current through R1, which is easily solved by finding the total resistance and using the equation V=IR. The second question asks for the current through R4, which the person is struggling with and believes the answer should be 0.8 A. The third question asks for the power dissipated in R2, which the person is unable to solve due to the difficulty of the previous question. The final question asks for the total power dissipated in the circuit, which the person is able to solve using the equation P=IV. A minor confusion about graphing is
scorpa
Hello there!

I am doing a really tough physics question on circuits. I am posting link to the picture of the circuit so you can actually see what is going on :smile:

These are the questions:

a) What is the current through R1?

This one was easy I just found the total resistance of the circuit and used the equation V= IR to get a current of 2.4 A which is the answer/

b) What is the current through R4?

I have no clue how to do this one, no matter what I do I get an answer either to high to to low. The answer should be 0.8 A.

c) What is the power dissipated in R2?

I have a feeling that I can't get this one because I can't get the one before it. The answer should be 5.1W.

d) What is the total power dissipated in the circuit?

I could do this one. It's just p = iv (12.0V)(2.4A) = 29W

Oh and one more really stupid thing. When you are drawing a graph and it says to plot resistance as a function of the cross-sectional area the resistance should go on the x-axis right? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
you've forgot the link

Hi there! Solving circuit questions can definitely be tough, but with a few tricks and techniques, you'll be able to tackle them with ease.

For question b), the key is to use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and the concept of parallel resistors. Since R2 and R3 are in parallel, they have the same voltage drop across them. This means that the current through R4 will be the same as the current through R2 and R3 combined. So, we can calculate the total resistance of R2 and R3 (1.5 ohms) and use that with the given voltage (12V) to find the total current through both resistors (8A). Since R4 is in series with this combination, the current through R4 will also be 8A. From there, you can use Ohm's Law again to find the voltage drop across R4, and then use that to find the current through R4 (0.8A).

For question c), you can use the same approach as question b) to find the current through R2 and then use power formula (P=I^2R) to find the power dissipated in R2.

And for the graphing question, yes, resistance should be on the x-axis since it is the independent variable.

Hope this helps and good luck with your circuit questions!

What is a "Really Hard Circuit Question"?

A "Really Hard Circuit Question" is a type of problem that involves complex circuitry and requires advanced problem-solving skills to solve. It often requires knowledge of electrical engineering and mathematics.

Why are "Really Hard Circuit Questions" important?

"Really Hard Circuit Questions" are important because they test a scientist's ability to think critically and apply their knowledge to solve complex problems. They also help scientists develop their problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields of science and engineering.

What are some strategies for solving "Really Hard Circuit Questions"?

Some strategies for solving "Really Hard Circuit Questions" include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, drawing out the circuit diagram, and using relevant equations and principles to guide your solution. It is also helpful to practice with simpler circuit problems to build your skills and intuition.

What are common mistakes to avoid when solving "Really Hard Circuit Questions"?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving "Really Hard Circuit Questions" include not fully understanding the problem, using incorrect equations or principles, and making careless errors in calculations. It is also important to check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Really Hard Circuit Questions"?

To improve your skills in solving "Really Hard Circuit Questions," it is essential to practice regularly and seek help from peers or instructors when necessary. Additionally, studying and reviewing fundamental concepts in electrical engineering and mathematics can also help you develop a strong foundation for approaching these types of problems.