Mastering a Tricky Equivalent Resistance Problem for the Physics C Exam

In summary, the problem asks for a network of resistors and the equivalent resistance for a current running through the middle resistor. However, since the resistors are not in parallel or series with any other resistor, the current will not run through the middle resistor.
jaredvert
Please don't say this is homework because it is not. I am simply studying problems for the physics c exam and I can't figure out this textbook problem. Please show me how to do this! The equivalent resistance part in the most depth because I don't understand. Is it right to say no current runs through the middle r because it would be repelled by the other current? And if that's the case this problem becomes easy but in not sure that's the case... Thanks
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1399781902.319976.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even thought its not "real" homework, it can still go in the homework section because its of that format.

Anyway, looks like it might be a case of the ol' delta-wye. Does that mean anything to you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_transform

Your tried and true series and parallel addition formulas won't work here as you have found. The delta-wye formulas can be derived, or just blindly used, depending on what you want.

This is a homework style question and as such should be posted in the homework section of the forums per PF rules.

Drakkith said:
This is a homework style question and as such should be posted in the homework section of the forums per PF rules.
Ok van u just tell me why the current wouldn't go through the middle resistor and then I will delete it. I had no other way of conveying this question

You can use a Y-Delta transformation to simplify the network: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/13.html

jaredvert said:
Ok van u just tell me why the current wouldn't go through the middle resistor and then I will delete it. I had no other way of conveying this question

Current will go through all those resistors.

UltrafastPED said:
You can use a Y-Delta transformation to simplify the network: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/13.html
Guys this was in my textbook that says absolutely nothing about delta y transformation or anything of the sort. Can you think of anything else? They wouldn't put something in the problems at the back if it wasn't applicable to the knowledge learned through the book and this obviously wo t come up on the ap exam but I still am curious and would like to know

I would guess that there is a small section on delta-wye in there. My second guess is that the book editor just messed up. It happens sometimes.

ModusPwnd said:
I would guess that there is a small section on delta-wye in there. My second guess is that the book editor just messed up. It happens sometimes.
Giancoli physics for scientists and engineers vol 2. I read the whole chapter and nothing on delta wye? How do u know when to use delta wye?

I consider it when I can't figure out how to use parallel or series addition. :tongue: The resistors are not in parallel or series with any other resistor.

UltrafastPED's link is good. You can see the basic geometry of the delta and they wye, they literally look like a delta and a wye. (Of course your wires may be aranged differently making it hard to see. Practice is needed)

Using the formulas in that link you can turn one into another as needed and then, hopefully, use your parallel and series rules to reduce the circuit.

ModusPwnd said:
I consider it when I can't figure out how to use parallel or series addition. :tongue: The resistors are not in parallel or series with any other resistor.

UltrafastPED's link is good. You can see the basic geometry of the delta and they wye, they literally look like a delta and a wye. (Of course your wires may be aranged differently making it hard to see. Practice is needed)

Using the formulas in that link you can turn one into another as needed and then, hopefully, use your parallel and series rules to reduce the circuit.
K thanks dudio

Closed because it's in the wrong section (since moved) and doesn't use the template.

Just to add an important comment: you do not need a Y-Delta transformation. This is way beyond the scope of your homework.

You can draw the setup in a different way to see how symmetric it is, and then you can see why there is no current in the middle resistor. Afterwards it is easy to continue.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a REALLY hard equivalent resistor problem?

A REALLY hard equivalent resistor problem is a type of electrical circuit problem that involves multiple resistors and requires complex calculations to determine the equivalent resistance of the circuit.

2. Why are REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems difficult to solve?

REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems can be difficult to solve because they often involve resistors in series, parallel, or a combination of both, which requires the use of advanced circuit analysis techniques and mathematical equations.

3. What are some strategies for solving REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems?

Some strategies for solving REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems include using the voltage divider rule, current divider rule, and Kirchhoff's laws. It is also helpful to break the circuit down into smaller, simpler parts and then combine the solutions to find the overall equivalent resistance.

4. Can REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems can have multiple solutions, especially if the circuit is complex and has multiple paths for current to flow. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and consider all possible scenarios to ensure an accurate solution.

5. How can REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems be applied in real life?

REALLY hard equivalent resistor problems are common in electrical engineering and can be applied in various fields, such as designing circuits for electronic devices, analyzing power distribution systems, and determining the resistance of complex networks. These problems also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.