Is There a Limit to Solving Difficult Polynomial Problems?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value of "a" such that the given limit exists. Through a series of hints and explanations, it is determined that the numerator of the limit must be in the form of (x+2)(mx+k) and that the coefficient of x must be 3. This leads to a value of "a" being 4 and factorizing the numerator as (x+2)(x-2).
Dethrone
Is there a number "a" such that

limit of ((3x^2 + ax + a + 3) / (x^2 + x -2)) as x approaches -2.

I have attached a picture of this problem for those who need a visual aid and a side for "hints". I have been trying to solve this question with limited success.

View attachment 1214

Attachments

• Limit problem.JPG
    Limit problem.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 105
Physics news on Phys.org
You can directly follow the hint

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to -2}3x^2+ax+a+3=0\)

I realize that, but I don't understand the hints leading up to that point. Can you explain or elaborate? Like the (3x + k).

Let us look at an easier example

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 2}\frac{x^2-a}{x-2}\)

So , what should be the value of $a$ so that the limit exists and why ?

(x-2), right?

Rido12 said:
I realize that, but I don't understand the hints leading up to that point. Can you explain or elaborate? Like the (3x + k).
Hint #1: It is easy to see that the denominator factors as $(x-1)(x+2)$. Since the limit goes to $x=-2$, we must get rid of the $(x+2)$ term in the denominator. To do this, the numerator also has to factor with an $(x+2)$ term.

Hint #2: The leading coefficient of the numerator is 3, and one of its factors ($(x+2)$) has a leading coefficient of 1, so the other factor has a leading coefficient of 3, so it is in the form $(3x+k)$, for some constant k.

Hint #4: Expanding $(x+2)(3x+k)$ gives $3x^2+(6+k)x+2k$, which in turn gives $6+k=a$ and $2k=a+3$. Using this, it is easy to solve for a and k, which will give the factors of the numerator.

- - - Updated - - -

Rido12 said:
(x-2), right?
Actually, I'm pretty sure he meant a constant term, so no. Try to find an $a$ such that the numerator contains an $(x-2)$ term.

eddybob123 said:
Hint #2: The leading coefficient of the numerator is 3, and one of its factors ($(x+2)$) has a leading coefficient of 1, so the other factor has a leading coefficient of 3, so it is in the form $(3x+k)$, for some constant k.
- - - Updated - - -Actually, I'm pretty sure he meant a constant term, so no. Try to find an $a$ such that the numerator contains an $(x-2)$ term.

The problem lies on Hint two; I lost you there D:
eddybob123 said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure he meant a constant term, so no. Try to find an $a$ such that the numerator contains an $(x-2)$ term.
Then a could be 4?

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
The problem lies on Hint two; I lost you there D:
We want the numerator to factor as $3x^2+ax+a+3=(x+2)(mx+k)$ for some coefficients m and k. Expanding this gives $3x^2+ax+a+3=mx^2+kx+2mx+2k$. Therefore, $m=3$ and restrictions to $a$ can be made.

- - - Updated - - -

Rido12 said:
Then a could be 4?
Yes, it is. The numerator can factor as \(\displaystyle (x+2)(x-2)\)

*Edit* Actually, you don't even need to find restrictions to a. You can solve for it directly using Hint #4.

eddybob123 said:
We want the numerator to factor as $3x^2+ax+a+3=(x+2)(mx+k)$ for some coefficients m and k. Expanding this gives $3x^2+ax+a+3=mx^2+kx+2mx+2k$. Therefore, $m=3$ and restrictions to $a$ can be made.

- - - Updated - - -Yes, it is. The numerator can factor as \(\displaystyle (x+2)(x-2)\)

*Edit* Actually, you don't even need to find restrictions to a. You can solve for it directly using Hint #4.

Thanks, I get it now, but, what led you choose "(mx+k)"? Could you not just have done (x+2)(x+k)?

EDIT: Oh, could "m" be representing any arbitrary number?

Rido12 said:
Thanks, I get it now, but, what led you choose "(mx+k)"? Could you not just have done (x+2)(x+k)?
Expanding $(x+2)(x+k)$ gives $x^2+(k+2)x+2k$, where the polynomial we want is actually $3x^2+ax+a+3$. Note that the coefficient of $x^2$ in the cases are different. If we want the equality to be satisfied for all x, we want the coefficients to be the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Rido12 said:
Oh, could "m" be representing any arbitrary number?
It is a variable which we solved for.

eddybob123 said:
Expanding $(x+2)(x+k)$ gives $x^2+(k+2)x+2k$, where the polynomial we want is actually $3x^2+ax+a+3$. Note that the coefficient of $x^2$ in the cases are different. If we want the equality to be satisfied for all x, we want the coefficients to be the same.

- - - Updated - - -It is a variable which we solved for.

If I wanted it in the form $3x^2+ax+a+3$, and I had to multiple (something)(x+2) to obtain it in that form, it wasn't intuitive for me to multiple that by "(mx+K)". It works out, but I wouldn't have came up with that immediately ... so would I have to use like trial and error to do so, or is there some sort of principle?

Rido12 said:
It works out, but I wouldn't have came up with that immediately ... so would I have to use like trial and error to do so, or is there some sort of principle?
What's wrong with \(\displaystyle (mx+k)\)?

eddybob123 said:
What's wrong with \(\displaystyle (mx+k)\)?

Nothing, it's just that I wouldn't have come up with that straight off the bat. If I needed it in the form 3x2+ax+a+3, multiplying (x-2) by "mx+k" wouldn't have been apparent. How were you able to determine so quickly that "mx+k" was the ideal candidate?

Rido12 said:
How were you able to determine so quickly that "mx+k" was the ideal candidate?
The polynomial you were trying to factor was of degree 2, so there are two factors of degree 1, that is, of the form $(ax+b)(cx+d)$.

eddybob123 said:
The polynomial you were trying to factor was of degree 2, so there are two factors of degree 1, that is, of the form $(ax+b)(cx+d)$.

Thank you!

1. What is a "Really hard limit problem"?

A "Really hard limit problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value. These problems are considered difficult because they require advanced mathematical techniques and may not have a straightforward solution.

2. Why are "Really hard limit problems" important?

"Really hard limit problems" are important because they are used in many areas of science and engineering to model real-world situations. They also help in understanding the behavior of functions and their limits, which is crucial in calculus and other advanced mathematical fields.

3. How do you approach solving a "Really hard limit problem"?

Solving a "Really hard limit problem" involves using different techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and L'Hôpital's rule. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate method to find the limit value.

4. Can "Really hard limit problems" have more than one solution?

Yes, "Really hard limit problems" can have more than one solution. Depending on the function and the chosen method, there may be multiple ways to approach and solve the problem. It is important to check for any restrictions or conditions on the function before determining the final solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving "Really hard limit problems"?

To improve your skills in solving "Really hard limit problems", it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts. Practice and familiarize yourself with different techniques for finding limits, and challenge yourself with a variety of problems to improve your problem-solving abilities.