Why Are These Physics Problems So Challenging?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of kinetic and potential energy, as well as mechanical energy in relation to circular orbits and a specific physical scenario involving a wheel and block. The first part addresses the relationship between kinetic and gravitational potential energy for a satellite in circular orbit, while the second part involves calculating the speed of a block as it falls with and without friction at the wheel's axis. The formula for calculating mechanical energy is also mentioned.
tandoorichicken
I hate to be taking up so much board space today, but all my problems are so freakin difficult.

1. a) show that the kinetic energy of a satellite in circular orbit r about the Earth is one half the magnitude of its gravitational potential energy.
b) what is its total mechanical energy?

2. Okay, I have to describe the picture in the book for this one: There is a wheel of r = 0.38m and m = 1.3kg and attached to that wheel from a cord is a 0.70kg block that is 1.2m off the ground.
a} If the block is released from rest, what speed will it have just before it hits the floor if there is no friction at the wheel's axis?
b) If there is friction on the axis, what is the frictional torque if the speed just before the block hits the floor is half of the speed it would have without friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the formula for K.E ,Centripetal force Equation and P.E u will get the result Mechanical Energy= P.E+K.E

First of all, it's completely understandable that you are struggling with these difficult physics problems. Physics can be a challenging subject, and it's important to take the time to work through them and understand the concepts rather than rushing through them.

In regards to the first problem, we can use the equation for gravitational potential energy, U = -GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the satellite, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between them. We can also use the equation for kinetic energy, K = 1/2mv^2, where v is the velocity of the satellite.

To show that the kinetic energy is one half the magnitude of the gravitational potential energy, we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for v. This will show us the velocity of the satellite in circular orbit.

For the total mechanical energy, we can simply add the kinetic and potential energies together, since they are both forms of energy. This will give us the total energy of the satellite in circular orbit.

Moving on to the second problem, we can use the equation for rotational kinetic energy, K = 1/2Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. First, we need to find the moment of inertia for the wheel, which is given by I = 1/2mr^2.

a) If we assume that the block is released from rest, we can use the conservation of energy to find the final velocity of the block just before it hits the ground. This will be equal to the velocity of the block at the bottom of the wheel, since there is no friction at the axis.

b) However, if there is friction at the axis, we need to consider the work done by friction, which is equal to the frictional torque multiplied by the angle through which it is applied. We can use this to find the final velocity of the block just before it hits the ground, given that it is half of the velocity without friction.

I hope this helps you in your understanding of these difficult physics problems. Keep persevering and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

1. What makes a physics problem "really hard"?

There are a few factors that can make a physics problem particularly challenging. These may include the complexity of the concepts involved, the level of mathematical skill required, and the amount of background knowledge needed to understand the problem.

2. How can I approach solving a really hard physics problem?

One approach is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Another strategy is to look for patterns or connections between different parts of the problem. It can also be helpful to consult with others or seek out additional resources for guidance.

3. Are there any tips or tricks for solving really hard physics problems?

Some common strategies for tackling difficult physics problems include drawing diagrams, using equations and formulas, and applying known principles and laws. It can also be helpful to review previous examples or practice problems to gain a better understanding of the concepts involved.

4. How do I know if I am on the right track when solving a really hard physics problem?

One way to check your progress is to compare your solution with the answer provided, if available. You can also try plugging your answer into the original problem to see if it makes sense and satisfies all the given conditions. If you are still unsure, seek feedback from a teacher or peer.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a really hard physics problem?

If you find yourself unable to make progress on a difficult physics problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor. Remember, it's okay to ask for help when needed.