Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really looking for new light data

1. May 15, 2003 #1
    thanks for responding
    im am really looking for new light data
    id appreciate any links

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2003 #2

FZ+

Any details?
    Light data is rather vague.

4. May 17, 2003 #3
    c still constant/ any voids einstein theories

hi
    i saw somewhere light was accelerated in a gas past the einstein velocity
    my friend and i both heard on the radio light had been also decelerated

mathwise im in algebraville i read physics notions all year

a lot of quantum theory

got any data

if these lightspeed changes occurred would they alter/invalidate einstein
    and any data with an immutable light constant
    [zz)]

5. May 17, 2003 #4

FZ+

I doubt that light beyond c (that's what you mean, right?) thing. They have manage to use interference etc to push a signal over c, but that isn't exactly the same thing. An analogy to to swing a torch. If it was aimed at a wall a long way away, the spot on the wall would travel faster than the speed of light. But the light itself did not. So it is doubtful whether this can transfer any real information.

As to below c... Well, that is in fact only the APPARENT speed of light. The process of refraction works because light travels apparently at different speeds in different mediums. So, only in a vacuum does it travel measurably at c. In other mediums, light travels at c in the "gaps" between particles, but time is lost in absorption/reemission when the light hits the particles, lowering the overall speed.

6. May 19, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is noteworthy here that the same principle that led to the faster than C experiments in the last few years also implies that the effect will hold for a single photon. This of course would mean that shadow effect arguments fail. To my knowledge this issue remains unresolved.

7. May 20, 2003 #6
    info on light experiments?

would you have any links or databases you can send me to

pertaining to light speed experimentation

8. May 20, 2003 #7
    I've recently read in a physics magazine that a light pulse was frozen to a hault by sending it through curtain gases at extremely low temperatures. I believe the low temperature gas state is called the Bose-einstein condensate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?