1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really need help! calorimetry

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    to the admin. pls. don't delete this i figure it be easier to understand this if it's set up this way because its a prelab.thanks

I. 89.7716 g of metal were heated to 99.8 °C and poured into a calorimeter containing 46.20 g of water at 28.45 °C.
    After stirring, the temperature of the water rose rapidly to 36.25 °C before slowly starting to fall.
    Calculate:
    a) The Specific Heat of the metal _____________
    b) The Atomic Weight _____________
    Calculated using the rule of Dulong and Petit

II. To a calorimeter containing 48.80 g of water at 28.85 °C, 7.0545 g of a salt was added with stirring. As the salt dissolved, the temperature rapidly changed to 31.45 °C before slowly returning to room temperature.
    Calculate:
    c) The Heat of Solution ______________

Given that the Heat of Formation of the solid salt is.... -180.59 Kj/mol
    and the Molecular Mass of the solid salt is.......... 143.69 g/mol
    Calculate:
    d) The Heat of Formation of the Solution ______________ Kj/mol

III. Given the reaction... AAA + BBB ---> CCC
    You add to a calorimeter 8.0 mL of 5.65 M AAA, 5.0 mL of water, and 12.0 mL of 5.51 M BBB. All of the above solutions were initially at 29.10 °C. After mixing, the temperature changed to 30.60 °C.
    Assume the density of all solutions is 1.000 g/mL and all solutions have the same specific heat as pure water.
    Calculate:
    e) The Heat of Reaction in Kj/mol ______________

i don't know how to get B D and E

for A i got .264
    for B i divided .264 from 6 but the answer is wrong. i tried it with 6.2 but it i'm still not getting the right answer
    C=-75.180
    D. i really don't have a clue
    E. i'm given this formula but i'm stuck on limiting reagant
    (Volume in mL)(Molarity) = millimoles
    VolumeHCl + VolumeNaOH+ Volumewater = Volumeliquids
    Temperaturefinal-Temperatureinitial = Temp. Changeliquids
    (Massliquids)(-Temp. Changeliquids)(4.18 j/gºC) = Energy Change
    Energy Change/[(1000 j/Kj)(Moles of Limiting Reagent)] = DH Reaction

thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show how you got that? And please include units. I think you did a unit conversion incorrectly, but without seeing your work and what units you mean to use, there is no way to tell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?