My Childhood Seizure Story: From Ambulances to Anxiety

• Medical
  • Thread starter ameyers6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the person experienced seizures at the age of 14 and was initially misdiagnosed with drug use. However, it was later determined that the seizures were caused by a strong sleeping pill prescribed by their family doctor. After switching to a different medication, they have been seizure-free for 15 years but now experience anxiety and panic about having another seizure. A recent neurologist visit suggested tapering off the medication, but the person is still concerned about potential seizures.
ameyers6
when i was 14 and my mom walked in my bedroom and turned the light on to wake me for school she couldn't wake me up and my eyes were rolling in back of my head
she tried walking me around but my body was limp
she called ambulance but i was fine by the time they got there
they took me to the ER and gave me blood work and and EEG all was fine they sent me home
two days later same thing happened this time my dad was home and tried slapping me in the face but i wouldn't wake up
same deal the ambulance came they gave me an MRI which was fine but the EEG showed seizure and the DR said i had a drug in my system like cocaine later they found out it was my sleeping pill that i was prescribed which was phenobarbital they said it was too strong for a child.
my family DR said the sleeping med caused this but the neuro said it was epilepsy

i quit the sleeping pill and started dilantin and for 15 years i have remained seizure free even though my dilantin levels have always been low
i have developed anxiety that i may have another seizure but a recent neuro visit my first in 15 years said that i was probably not epileptic and to tapper off dilantin
what do you guys think

the anxiety and panic make me dizzy and i worry that is a seizure

Biology news on Phys.org
We cannot give you medical advice, we have no way of knowing about your condition. Please discuss this with a doctor.

1. What is the main cause of childhood seizures?

The main cause of childhood seizures can vary, but it is often due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain. This can be caused by a number of factors including genetics, infections, head injuries, and certain medical conditions.

2. How common are childhood seizures?

Childhood seizures are actually quite common, with approximately 1 in 20 children experiencing at least one seizure in their lifetime. However, the frequency and severity of seizures can vary greatly from person to person.

3. What are the common symptoms of childhood seizures?

The most common symptoms of childhood seizures include convulsions, loss of consciousness, and involuntary movements of the body. Other symptoms may include changes in behavior, confusion, and difficulty speaking or understanding others.

4. How are childhood seizures diagnosed?

Diagnosis of childhood seizures typically involves a combination of medical history, physical exam, and various tests, such as an electroencephalogram (EEG) and MRI. These tests can help determine the type of seizure and potential underlying causes.

5. How are childhood seizures treated?

Treatment for childhood seizures depends on the underlying cause and type of seizure. Medications, such as anticonvulsants, may be prescribed to help prevent or reduce the frequency of seizures. In some cases, surgery may also be recommended. It is important to work closely with a healthcare professional to determine the best treatment plan for each individual.