1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really need help on simple energy and spring on incline

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    A 2.00 kg block is placed against a spring on a frictionless 30.0° incline (Fig. 8-33). (The block is not attached to the spring.) The spring, whose spring constant is 19.6 N/cm, is compressed 16.0 cm and then released.

[​IMG]

(a) What is the elastic potential energy of the compressed spring?
    So I think of it like this, it wants the answer in joules, so I convert 19.6N/cm to .196N/m, and 16cm to .16m anyway. PE=1/2 K X^2
    so
    PE=.5(.196)(.16^2) = .0025088J but it's wrong. I know this is very simple, But I don't understand why I am wrong here

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

This is wrong. Try again, make sure your units work out.

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    I tried leaving them the same, but that didn't work either. The only other thing I can think of is leaving one the same and changing the other, which is mixing units, and thats wrong. What is wrong about it, can you be a little more specific?

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

You just didn't convert it properly. Write it out so you can see how the units need to be:

19.6 N/cm * 100 cm/m = 1960 N/m.

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    Ahh thank you, I swear I lose so many points because of stuff like this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?