Really with lab derivation -- Rolling objects down an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of energy and the equation of average velocity with constant acceleration to derive a theoretical value for t. The lab involves rolling two objects down an incline and measuring time with photo gates. The equations used include conservation of energy, average velocity, and moment of inertia for a sphere and hollow cylinder. The solution for the sphere is provided, but help is needed for the hollow cylinder.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

So I attached the page from the lab with the directions for the derivation. It may be easier to view that document. The lab was set up was taking two objects and rolling them down an incline. The time was measured using photo gates. Basically, I need to use conservation of energy and the equation of average velocity with constant acceleration to derive t(theoretical)=sqrt((2(1+c)d)/(gsin(theta)))
I= moment of inertia
w=omega
k=kinetic energy
U=potential energy
m=mass
g=acceleration due to gravity
d=x=distance
v=velocity
R=radius
i=initial
f=final
t=translation
r=rotation

Homework Equations

conservation of energy: (delta)k(translation)+(delta)k(rotational)+(delta)U(gravitational)=0
average velocity=((delta)x)/((delta)t)=(V(initial)+V(final))/2
moment of inertia(sphere)=CMR^2
moment of inertia(Hollow cylinder)=(M(R^2(inner radius)+R^2(outer radius))/2

The Attempt at a Solution

So Heres my attempt for the sphere, pretty lost for the hollow cylinder, I'm guessing I just replace the moment of inertia in the work energy theory?

and sorry ahead of time could not find the subscript symbol so the (i) (t) (g) (f) and (r) should be sub scripted

(delta)k(translation)+(delta)k(rotational)+(delta)U(gravitational)=0
k(i)(r)+k(i)(t) +U(g)(i)=k(f)(r) + k(f)(t) +U(g)(f)
0 +0 +m*g*y=(1/2)*m*v^2(f) + (1/2)I*w^2 +0
sin(theta)D*g=(v^2(f))/2 + (1/2)*c*m*R^2(f)*(v(f)/R)^2

sqrt((2sin(theta)*D*g)/(1+c))=v(f)

then I know I'm supposed to plug this into the average velocity equation but it just yields nonsense. So would appreciate any help. This is my first post on here so let me know if I formatted anything wrong. And also what should I do for the hollow cylinder? do I just replace the the moment of inertia in the conservation of energy with the hollow cylinder's one? and wouldn't that yield a different t(theoretical). Thanks to anyone willing to help.

Attachments

• Moment_of_Inertia_KMC-page-002.jpg
    Moment_of_Inertia_KMC-page-002.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 380
Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:
I'm supposed to plug this into the average velocity equation but it just yields nonsense.
Please post this step in your working.

1. What is the purpose of rolling objects down an incline in a lab?

The purpose of rolling objects down an incline in a lab is to study the relationship between the height of the incline, the angle of the incline, and the speed of the rolling object. This experiment helps to understand the concept of potential and kinetic energy, as well as the effects of friction on rolling objects.

2. How is the speed of a rolling object on an incline related to the angle of the incline?

The speed of a rolling object on an incline is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the speed of the rolling object also increases. This relationship can be demonstrated through mathematical calculations and experimental data.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a rolling object down an incline?

The speed of a rolling object down an incline can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the height of the incline, the mass and shape of the rolling object, and the presence of friction. These factors can be controlled and manipulated in a lab setting to observe their effects on the speed of the rolling object.

4. How does the presence of friction affect the motion of a rolling object down an incline?

The presence of friction can significantly affect the motion of a rolling object down an incline. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing the rolling object to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This can be observed and measured in a lab by comparing the speed of a rolling object on an incline with and without the presence of friction.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying rolling objects down an incline in a lab?

The study of rolling objects down an incline has many real-world applications, such as understanding the motion of objects on inclined surfaces like ramps and hills. It is also relevant in the fields of engineering, physics, and sports, where the principles of potential and kinetic energy and the effects of friction are important to consider in designing and analyzing movements and structures.