How far will the eraser slide with a compressed spring and friction force?

• Thread starter F.B
  • Start date
In summary, the student is using a compressed spring with force constant 22 N/m to shoot a 0.0075 kg eraser across a desk. The magnitude of the force of friction on the eraser is 0.042 N. Based on the law of conservation of energy, the work done by the spring as it decompresses by 3.5 cm is transferred to the eraser as kinetic energy, allowing for the calculation of the eraser's initial velocity. Using the kinematic equations, the distance the eraser will travel under a constant decelerating force of 0.042 N and an initial velocity of 1.89 m/s can be determined.
F.B
A student uses a compressed spring of force constant 22 N/m to shoot a 0.0075 kg eraser across a desk. The magnitude of the force of friction on the eraser is 0.042 N. How far along the horizontal desk will the eraser slide if the spring is initially compressed 3.5 cm. Use the law of conservation of energy.

i think you have to find acceleration first but it doesn't make sense when i do it. I end up 97 m/s.

Heres what i did.

Fnet=Fe-Ff
But i think that's wrong.

so can anyone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What work is done by the spring as it decompresses by 3.5 cm ?
That work done/energy lost is transferred to the eraser as kinetic energy.
Use that to find the initial velocity of the eraser.

The friction force is what provides the deceleration.

fnet = fapp + f
force of friction is opposite to f so
fnet = fapp + ( - f)

ma= ... you know (hint look below an your units)

if not

force is known as kg*m/sy*2 (y* means to the power of) and by the way don't forget to convert your units to standard SI untis

if i do Ee=Ek i get 1.89 m/s as speed. What do i do now with it.

Whats Fapp you get figure that out unless its a constant velocity

Fapp is "applied force" and use the 6 basic equations to find your displacement

I know that Fapp is the applied force but there isn't an applied force in this question.

F.B said:
if i do Ee=Ek i get 1.89 m/s as speed. What do i do now with it.
Ok, you used conservation of energy to get the corrrect initial velocity.

Now use the kinematic eqns to find out how far the eraser travels under a constant decelerating force of 0.042N with an initial velocity of 1.89m/s.

1. What does "Really with this one." mean?

"Really with this one." is a colloquial expression that typically means "Are you serious?" or "Is this really happening?"

2. Is "Really with this one." a proper sentence?

No, "Really with this one." is not a complete sentence. It is a phrase or clause that requires additional context to convey a complete thought.

3. Can "Really with this one." be used in a formal setting?

No, "Really with this one." is considered informal and should not be used in formal settings such as academic or professional writing.

4. Are there other variations of "Really with this one."?

Yes, there are other variations such as "Seriously with this one." or "Are you for real with this one?" that convey a similar meaning.

5. Can "Really with this one." be used in a positive context?

Yes, "Really with this one." can be used in both positive and negative contexts. It depends on the tone and context in which it is used.