1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really need help

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1

F.B

I have a question on universal gravitation, it's sort of really hard, especially since i forgot some math rules.

At a certain point between the Earth and the Moon, the net gravitational force exerted on an object by Earth and the Moon is zero. The Earth-moon centre to centre separation is 3.84 x 10^8m. The mass of the moon is 1.2% the mass of the earth.
    a) Where is this point located? Are there any such points?

I know there are points because theres an answer. Anyways heres what i did.

FG=0

GMem/(Re-m)^2=G x 0.012Me x m/(Rm-m)^2

After cancelling everything out. I do this:

1/(Re-m)^2= 0.012Me/(Rm-m)^2
    Now i still have two unknowns so i solve for Rm-m

(3.84 x 10^8 - Re-m)^2= 0.012Re-m^2

Heres my problem i dont know how what to do with the bracket. If i expand it and then do quadratic formula i dont get the right answer.

So can anyone please help me and tell me if i did anything wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your notation is a bit hard to follow. (What's "Re-m"?) But I suspect you have the right idea. To solve your equation, take the square root of both sides.

I'd write the equation this way. Calling D the distance between the centers and x the distance from the zero force point to the earth:
    [tex]\frac{G M_E m}{x^2} = 0.012 \frac{G M_E m}{(D - x)^2}[/tex]

Which becomes:
    [tex]0.012 x^2 = (D - x)^2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?