1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really need some inspiration

1. Dec 13, 2015 #1
    Lately I have really been down. I fear if I will even be able to enter the science field. I really love science and always think about the outer space but I know that it's not enough. There is a lot of competition for this field. I want something motivating and inspirational to push me forward from my current state. Also I have trouble concentrating on my studies. Please help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2015 #2
    There you go.

4. Dec 14, 2015 #3
    I could use inspiration too its normal

5. Dec 14, 2015 #4
    You first have to consider which direction forward would be.

6. Dec 14, 2015 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What have you studied up to now, and at what level? Do you want to build and design, or do you want to understand?

7. Dec 14, 2015 #6

I'm currently in 10th grade and have not studied basically but read some of the science novels, not the fiction ones. I would like to understand. About this universe, the reason behind it and much more things.

8. Dec 14, 2015 #7
    And thanks guys for the replies

9. Dec 14, 2015 #8

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Study as much Mathematics as you can handle for the next five years. You may be interested primarily in Physics and some Chemistry.

10. Dec 14, 2015 #9

Yeah I'll study more mathematics. And yes I'm really interested in physics and chemistry but not that much in mathematics, I do maths because I have to not because I want to and that's what is troubling me, since physics has a major portion of maths and I'll need immense skill in mathematics if I want to be a scientist.

11. Dec 14, 2015 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

An "immense" skill seems to be an overstatement. It really depends on the field. In some areas of theoretical physics, you will indeed need an immense skill in mathematics. In other areas, it is not so important. It is however necessary to become fluent and comfortable with mathematics. You will not need to knowledge of a mathematician, but you cannot do without math.

The good thing is that mathematics can be practiced. The more you do mathematics, the better you will be at it. I understand you don't like it. That's ok, you can perfectly be a physicist and dislike mathematics. I have met several good physicists who dislike mathematics. That does not mean you get to neglect it, that would be disastrous. Just put a lot of effort into mathematics like calculus and linear algebra and you'll be ok.

12. Dec 14, 2015 #11

Thanks a lot. This really helped me. I'll start practicing maths from now on, regularly.

13. Dec 15, 2015 #12
    If there is a translated version of Hironaka Heisuke's "Joy of Learning", get the copy and read it. He is a Field-medalist, and he talks about how he approached the learning (although specifically in mathematics), keep firing his interest to the mathematics, and also dealing with how low self-esteem (compared to his calibers like Artin) and eventually making the learning and enthusiasm your own and not infiltrated by other sources like competition.

14. Dec 15, 2015 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

do something nice for someone else. or "have a coke and a smile".

15. Dec 16, 2015 #14

XD. Sure.

16. Dec 16, 2015 #15
    One of the biggest problems facing today's generation of students is the misunderstanding that intelligence is a genetic predisposition, something that's set, and something that you can never change.

That's not true.

Intelligence is a malleable thing that can be improved over time. If you believe in yourself and just do the best you can, over time your intelligence will rise and you'll start to understand things you thought you never could.

As cheesy as this may sound, your determination and spirit will make a huge difference while you're studying and going through school. The reason I did better than most students my age, who have the same intelligence or maybe are even smarter than me, is because I believed in myself. Don't tell yourself "I'm not a math person," even if you don't like math, saying or thinking something like that is extremely detrimental to you. Keep your mind open, keep studying, if you need help seek it out. If you don't ask that question when it first appears, you will appear stupid later on for not asking it. Don't fear being "stupid" by asking that question now! Make mistakes! That's how you learn!

I guarantee you every smart person out there has made mistakes, and are still making mistakes! It's human nature, what's important is to recognize and accept these mistakes, then move on. Don't let them bog you down. Just remember, it's not about some genetic predisposition or something that someone else got at birth and you didn't. It's about your determination, your spirit, and how hard you want to work for it.

Here's a really cool video that may help you later on down the road and right now-

"If you want it badly enough, you can have it, provided you work hard for it."

17. Dec 16, 2015 #16

This really helped me. Thanks a lot.I feel more confident now. And more determined.

18. Dec 16, 2015 #17
    And the video was amazing too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook