Finding Inspiration and Motivation to Pursue a Career in Science

• Thread starter ayush solanki
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers the fear of not being able to enter the science field and the desire for motivation and inspiration. It is suggested to study mathematics and focus on understanding rather than just building and designing. The importance of mathematics in the field of physics is emphasized and the idea that intelligence is not a fixed trait is discussed. The conversation ends with the suggestion to read "Joy of Learning" by Hironaka Heisuke and to do something nice for others.
ayush solanki
Lately I have really been down. I fear if I will even be able to enter the science field. I really love science and always think about the outer space but I know that it's not enough. There is a lot of competition for this field. I want something motivating and inspirational to push me forward from my current state. Also I have trouble concentrating on my studies. Please help. Thank you.

Likes Delong
Physics news on Phys.org
ayush solanki said:
I want something motivating and inspirational to push me forward from my current state.

ayush solanki said:
I really love science and always think about the outer space.

There you go.

Likes bubblescript, ayush solanki and Delong
ayush solanki said:
Lately I have really been down. I fear if I will even be able to enter the science field. I really love science and always think about the outer space but I know that it's not enough. There is a lot of competition for this field. I want something motivating and inspirational to push me forward from my current state. Also I have trouble concentrating on my studies. Please help. Thank you.
I could use inspiration too its normal

ayush solanki said:
... push me forward from my current state.
You first have to consider which direction forward would be.

ayush solanki said:
What have you studied up to now, and at what level? Do you want to build and design, or do you want to understand?

Likes ayush solanki
symbolipoint said:
What have you studied up to now, and at what level? Do you want to build and design, or do you want to understand?
I'm currently in 10th grade and have not studied basically but read some of the science novels, not the fiction ones. I would like to understand. About this universe, the reason behind it and much more things.

And thanks guys for the replies

ayush solanki said:
I'm currently in 10th grade and have not studied basically but read some of the science novels, not the fiction ones. I would like to understand. About this universe, the reason behind it and much more things.
Study as much Mathematics as you can handle for the next five years. You may be interested primarily in Physics and some Chemistry.

Likes ayush solanki
symbolipoint said:
Study as much Mathematics as you can handle for the next five years. You may be interested primarily in Physics and some Chemistry.
Yeah I'll study more mathematics. And yes I'm really interested in physics and chemistry but not that much in mathematics, I do maths because I have to not because I want to and that's what is troubling me, since physics has a major portion of maths and I'll need immense skill in mathematics if I want to be a scientist.

ayush solanki said:
Yeah I'll study more mathematics. And yes I'm really interested in physics and chemistry but not that much in mathematics, I do maths because I have to not because I want to and that's what is troubling me, since physics has a major portion of maths and I'll need immense skill in mathematics if I want to be a scientist.

An "immense" skill seems to be an overstatement. It really depends on the field. In some areas of theoretical physics, you will indeed need an immense skill in mathematics. In other areas, it is not so important. It is however necessary to become fluent and comfortable with mathematics. You will not need to knowledge of a mathematician, but you cannot do without math.

The good thing is that mathematics can be practiced. The more you do mathematics, the better you will be at it. I understand you don't like it. That's ok, you can perfectly be a physicist and dislike mathematics. I have met several good physicists who dislike mathematics. That does not mean you get to neglect it, that would be disastrous. Just put a lot of effort into mathematics like calculus and linear algebra and you'll be ok.

Likes okantomi, bubblescript and ayush solanki
micromass said:
An "immense" skill seems to be an overstatement. It really depends on the field. In some areas of theoretical physics, you will indeed need an immense skill in mathematics. In other areas, it is not so important. It is however necessary to become fluent and comfortable with mathematics. You will not need to knowledge of a mathematician, but you cannot do without math.

The good thing is that mathematics can be practiced. The more you do mathematics, the better you will be at it. I understand you don't like it. That's ok, you can perfectly be a physicist and dislike mathematics. I have met several good physicists who dislike mathematics. That does not mean you get to neglect it, that would be disastrous. Just put a lot of effort into mathematics like calculus and linear algebra and you'll be ok.
Thanks a lot. This really helped me. I'll start practicing maths from now on, regularly.

If there is a translated version of Hironaka Heisuke's "Joy of Learning", get the copy and read it. He is a Field-medalist, and he talks about how he approached the learning (although specifically in mathematics), keep firing his interest to the mathematics, and also dealing with how low self-esteem (compared to his calibers like Artin) and eventually making the learning and enthusiasm your own and not infiltrated by other sources like competition.

do something nice for someone else. or "have a coke and a smile".

mathwonk said:
do something nice for someone else. or "have a coke and a smile".
XD. Sure.

One of the biggest problems facing today's generation of students is the misunderstanding that intelligence is a genetic predisposition, something that's set, and something that you can never change.

That's not true.

Intelligence is a malleable thing that can be improved over time. If you believe in yourself and just do the best you can, over time your intelligence will rise and you'll start to understand things you thought you never could.

As cheesy as this may sound, your determination and spirit will make a huge difference while you're studying and going through school. The reason I did better than most students my age, who have the same intelligence or maybe are even smarter than me, is because I believed in myself. Don't tell yourself "I'm not a math person," even if you don't like math, saying or thinking something like that is extremely detrimental to you. Keep your mind open, keep studying, if you need help seek it out. If you don't ask that question when it first appears, you will appear stupid later on for not asking it. Don't fear being "stupid" by asking that question now! Make mistakes! That's how you learn!

I guarantee you every smart person out there has made mistakes, and are still making mistakes! It's human nature, what's important is to recognize and accept these mistakes, then move on. Don't let them bog you down. Just remember, it's not about some genetic predisposition or something that someone else got at birth and you didn't. It's about your determination, your spirit, and how hard you want to work for it.

Here's a really cool video that may help you later on down the road and right now-

"If you want it badly enough, you can have it, provided you work hard for it."

Likes ayush solanki
Bumpeh said:
One of the biggest problems facing today's generation of students is the misunderstanding that intelligence is a genetic predisposition, something that's set, and something that you can never change.

That's not true.

Intelligence is a malleable thing that can be improved over time. If you believe in yourself and just do the best you can, over time your intelligence will rise and you'll start to understand things you thought you never could.

As cheesy as this may sound, your determination and spirit will make a huge difference while you're studying and going through school. The reason I did better than most students my age, who have the same intelligence or maybe are even smarter than me, is because I believed in myself. Don't tell yourself "I'm not a math person," even if you don't like math, saying or thinking something like that is extremely detrimental to you. Keep your mind open, keep studying, if you need help seek it out. If you don't ask that question when it first appears, you will appear stupid later on for not asking it. Don't fear being "stupid" by asking that question now! Make mistakes! That's how you learn!

I guarantee you every smart person out there has made mistakes, and are still making mistakes! It's human nature, what's important is to recognize and accept these mistakes, then move on. Don't let them bog you down. Just remember, it's not about some genetic predisposition or something that someone else got at birth and you didn't. It's about your determination, your spirit, and how hard you want to work for it.

Here's a really cool video that may help you later on down the road and right now-

This really helped me. Thanks a lot.I feel more confident now. And more determined.

Bumpeh said:

That's not true.

And the video was amazing too.

What are the benefits of pursuing a career in science?

Pursuing a career in science can bring many benefits, such as the opportunity to make groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in your field, the chance to collaborate with other brilliant minds, and the satisfaction of contributing to the greater good of society through your research.

How can I find inspiration for a career in science?

There are many ways to find inspiration for a career in science. Some potential sources of inspiration include reading about the latest scientific advancements, attending science conferences and lectures, talking to scientists in your desired field, and conducting hands-on experiments or research projects.

What are some tips for staying motivated in a science career?

Staying motivated in a science career can be challenging at times, but there are some tips that can help. These include setting realistic goals, surrounding yourself with supportive and like-minded individuals, taking breaks when needed, and remembering the bigger picture and impact of your work.

How can I overcome self-doubt and imposter syndrome in a science career?

Self-doubt and imposter syndrome are common among many individuals pursuing a career in science. To overcome these feelings, it can be helpful to remind yourself of your accomplishments and strengths, seek support and mentorship from others, and focus on continuous learning and growth.

What are some important qualities or skills to have in a science career?

Some important qualities and skills to have in a science career include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, strong communication and collaboration skills, adaptability, and a passion for learning and discovery. It is also important to have a strong work ethic and the ability to persevere through challenges and setbacks.