Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really powerful magnet

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://livescience.com/technology/ap_050729_super_magnet.html

Does anyone know if theres anything bad about this? Some people on this other forum act like its the end of the world but its only about 21 tesla from another article. There saying you could rip out iron from peoples blood or draw in people from miles away lol. Anyone know the real story? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. 21 T is not a big deal by itself. The magnet in out lab goes up to 17 T when I'm working about 10 feet away. I must be careful not to be walking by with my credit cards and such stuff on me. Also I don't want to carry steel (or other magnetic) objects nearby. I don't have to be miles away to feel safe.

2. This particular magnet IS a big deal, not for the field strength alone but because of the large volume over which this field is maintained and homogeneous. That takes a lot of energy and some very careful design work.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  4. Jul 29, 2005 #3
    The article is trying to make the magnet look impressive by comparing it to the magnetic field of the earth. I find that kind of funny.

5. Jul 29, 2005 #4

Mk

6. Jul 29, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, when I said 21T is not a big deal, I meant that it wouldn't suck things from miles away ! :eek: NMR magnets are usually about 10 to 15T. Our 17T magnet is the biggest in the department and one of the biggest on campus, but it's pretty common around the country (to have magnets of that strength).

7. Jul 29, 2005 #6

Mk

Definitely, what I ment was that 21 T is quite a bit more than the average person experiences everyday.

8. Jul 29, 2005 #7
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: guess there is a advantage to being slightly anemic :rofl:

9. Jul 29, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About 420,000 times more, eh ? :wink:

10. Jul 29, 2005 #9

Mk

Gokul! You just exposed my deepest darkest secret! Delete your post IMMEDIATELY

11. Jul 30, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I worked on MRI units, back when they were new to medicine and had field strengths of up to 1.5T, I had a favorite joke to play on the docs.

Did you hear about residual affects being reported by NMR (MRI) patients?

No! What...?

It looks like the iron in the blood exhibits enough magnetic hysteresis to cause problems later.

Really! What happens....?

They tend to walk north.

12. Jul 30, 2005 #11
    Watching too much X-2 are we?

13. Jul 30, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here are a couple of pictures showing what happened when a floor buffer got too close to an MRI magnet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jul 30, 2005 #13
    LOL thats crazy. btw can a magnet placed over a part of your body like a vein help accumulate iron in that spot and start a clot? or is iron in your blood bonded to something so that it isnt magnetic anymore

15. Jul 30, 2005 #14

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

That's exactly what I thought. I wonder what the power of Magneto's field is.

16. Jul 31, 2005 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd be very, very surprised if hemoglobin were magnetic. What makes metallic iron (ferro)magnetic is (among other things) the spacing between neighboring Fe atoms. In hemoglobin, the Fe atoms (actually Fe^2+ ions) are separated by the intermolecular separation. There is no possibility of a magnetic exchange interaction. Blood just can't be magnetic.

17. Jul 31, 2005 #16

Mk

But water is diamagnetic, blood is chock full of water.

And what about the frogs and spiders I see in high field strength chambers that are floating around?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?