Powerful Magnets: Benefits & Risks

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary: I've never heard of that. Are they able to tolerate the high field?I've never heard of that. Are they able to tolerate the high field?No, they can't. They die.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://livescience.com/technology/ap_050729_super_magnet.html

Does anyone know if there's anything bad about this? Some people on this other forum act like its the end of the world but its only about 21 tesla from another article. There saying you could rip out iron from peoples blood or draw in people from miles away lol. Anyone know the real story? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. 21 T is not a big deal by itself. The magnet in out lab goes up to 17 T when I'm working about 10 feet away. I must be careful not to be walking by with my credit cards and such stuff on me. Also I don't want to carry steel (or other magnetic) objects nearby. I don't have to be miles away to feel safe.

2. This particular magnet IS a big deal, not for the field strength alone but because of the large volume over which this field is maintained and homogeneous. That takes a lot of energy and some very careful design work.

Last edited:
The article is trying to make the magnet look impressive by comparing it to the magnetic field of the earth. I find that kind of funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, when I said 21T is not a big deal, I meant that it wouldn't suck things from miles away ! :eek: NMR magnets are usually about 10 to 15T. Our 17T magnet is the biggest in the department and one of the biggest on campus, but it's pretty common around the country (to have magnets of that strength).

Definitely, what I ment was that 21 T is quite a bit more than the average person experiences everyday.

could rip out iron from peoples blood

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: guess there is a advantage to being slightly anemic :rofl:

Mk said:
Definitely, what I ment was that 21 T is quite a bit more than the average person experiences everyday.
About 420,000 times more, eh ? :wink:

Gokul! You just exposed my deepest darkest secret! Delete your post IMMEDIATELY

When I worked on MRI units, back when they were new to medicine and had field strengths of up to 1.5T, I had a favorite joke to play on the docs.

Did you hear about residual affects being reported by NMR (MRI) patients?

No! What...?

It looks like the iron in the blood exhibits enough magnetic hysteresis to cause problems later.

Really! What happens...?

They tend to walk north.

There saying you could rip out iron from peoples

Watching too much X-2 are we?

Here are a couple of pictures showing what happened when a floor buffer got too close to an MRI magnet.

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/51/whatwasit4pz.jpg

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/3733/mriscrubber7ro.jpg

LOL that's crazy. btw can a magnet placed over a part of your body like a vein help accumulate iron in that spot and start a clot? or is iron in your blood bonded to something so that it isn't magnetic anymore

Entropy said:
Watching too much X-2 are we?

That's exactly what I thought. I wonder what the power of Magneto's field is.

Kakarot said:
LOL that's crazy. btw can a magnet placed over a part of your body like a vein help accumulate iron in that spot and start a clot? or is iron in your blood bonded to something so that it isn't magnetic anymore
I'd be very, very surprised if hemoglobin were magnetic. What makes metallic iron (ferro)magnetic is (among other things) the spacing between neighboring Fe atoms. In hemoglobin, the Fe atoms (actually Fe^2+ ions) are separated by the intermolecular separation. There is no possibility of a magnetic exchange interaction. Blood just can't be magnetic.

But water is diamagnetic, blood is chock full of water.

And what about the frogs and spiders I see in high field strength chambers that are floating around?

1. What are the benefits of using powerful magnets?

Powerful magnets have a wide range of benefits, including their ability to create a strong magnetic field that can be used in various industrial and scientific applications. They can also be used in medical treatments, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and in everyday items like speakers and motors. Additionally, powerful magnets can be used for magnetic levitation, which has potential uses in transportation and energy production.

2. Are there any risks associated with using powerful magnets?

Yes, there are risks associated with using powerful magnets. These magnets can be dangerous if handled improperly, as they can cause serious injuries if they come into contact with metal objects or each other. They can also affect electronic devices and disrupt the functioning of pacemakers and other medical implants.

3. How can I safely handle powerful magnets?

To safely handle powerful magnets, it is important to always wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and to keep the magnets away from metal objects. When handling multiple magnets, it is important to handle them one at a time and to keep them at a safe distance from each other. It is also recommended to store powerful magnets in a secure, dry place and to avoid dropping them as they can shatter into small pieces.

4. Can powerful magnets affect electronic devices?

Yes, powerful magnets can affect electronic devices. They can interfere with the functioning of electronic devices, including computers, cell phones, and credit cards. It is important to keep powerful magnets away from these devices to avoid any potential damage.

5. What precautions should I take when using powerful magnets around people with medical implants?

If you or someone around you has a medical implant, such as a pacemaker or insulin pump, it is important to keep a safe distance from powerful magnets. It is recommended to consult with a doctor before using powerful magnets in the vicinity of someone with a medical implant. Additionally, it is important to keep powerful magnets away from sensitive areas of the body, such as the eyes, as they can cause serious harm.