: really quick simplifying radical question

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a radical expression and the importance of using parentheses to clearly show what is inside the square root. The final simplified expression is determined to be sqrt 105 / 35 q.
xLaser
hey, just a really quick question, any help wud be great,

is it possible to simplify this radical further?

p = sqrt root (6/70q^2)

thx in advance for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
xLaser said:
hey, just a really quick question, any help wud be great,

is it possible to simplify this radical further?

p = sqrt root (6/70q^2)

thx in advance for help.

Certainly. The ratio of two even numbers can always be simplified. Any time you have the square root of a square, you can simplify, though you do need to be careful. If q is any real number, then when you take the square root you cannot simply write q in the simplified expression, you need to write the absolute value of q. In most problems of this sort, variables are treated as postive quantities, but you need to check the context of the problem.

the question stated q is greater than 0, therefore q is pos. but how would u simplify this since q does not have a number value?

xLaser said:
the question stated q is greater than 0, therefore q is pos. but how would u simplify this since q does not have a number value?

If it were a number like 5, what would say about sqr root (5^2)? Change 5 to any other number, including fractions like 1/5. What must be true in general?

And remember that sqr root (a*b) = (sqr root(a))*(sqr root (b))

p=sqrt 3/35q^2

DDS said:
p=sqrt 3/35q^2

p=sqrt (3/35q^2). Keep going

older dan do u mind checking your private messages and reisitng some of my work on my posts as well..

please and thank u

i got it

its sqrt105 /35q

xLaser said:
i got it

its sqrt105 /35q

I don't think so. Where does 105 come from? You need to use parantheses to show what is in the square root and what is not.

ok maybe u guys got orginial Question wrong.

it's actually p = sqrt root (6 / 70q^2)

so becomes sqrt 6 / sqrt 70 sqrt q^2

so becomes sqrt 6 / sqr 70 q

sqrt 6 * sqrt 70 / 70q

sqrt 420 / 70q

sqrt 105 / 35 q

Theres a lot of algebra going wrong there.

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{6}{70q^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{6}}{\sqrt{70q^2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{2}\sqrt{35}\sqrt{q^2}} [/tex]

Do you follow that? That's one way to do it. Complete the process.

yeah dude, ... ok so u get

sqrt 3 / sqrt 35 q

now u multiply by sqrt 35 / sqrt 35

and u get sqrt 105 / 35 q

..... lol...

You really should use parentheses.

lol yeah i got to learn the things u guys use to write symbols out.

What is a radical?

A radical is a mathematical symbol that represents taking the root of a number. It is written as a symbol with a number inside called the radicand, and a smaller number outside called the index.

How do you simplify a radical expression?

To simplify a radical expression, you need to factor the radicand into its prime factors. Then, you can cancel out any pairs of the same factors. The remaining factors outside the radical become the simplified form of the expression.

Can you simplify a radical with a non-perfect square inside?

Yes, you can still simplify a radical with a non-perfect square inside. The simplified form will include the square root of the largest perfect square factor of the radicand, multiplied by the square root of the remaining non-perfect square factors.

What is the difference between simplifying and evaluating a radical expression?

Simplifying a radical expression means to rewrite it in its simplest form, while evaluating a radical expression means to find the numerical value of the expression. Simplifying involves factoring and simplifying the radicand, while evaluating involves finding the square root of the radicand and performing any additional operations.

Are there any special rules for simplifying radical expressions?

Yes, there are a few special rules for simplifying radical expressions, including the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These rules make it easier to simplify expressions with multiple radicals or exponents.