Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really Simple ANSYS question

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    Hey folks,

I really hate to post this because it is just going to make me look lazy, but I really rather not invest any more time looking for an answer that someone already knows. The ANSYS help file is proving to be difficult to navigate for something as simple as this:

I want to change the "Default working directory." During the install, I failed to note the location of it and it is a little annoying when I go to look for it.

I know that I can change the "Current Working Directory" but this goes back to the annoying default directory every time I restart ANSYS.

Can someone just tell me where I can find this option to change the Default Directory?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    You need to use the ANSYS Product Launcher. In there you specify what the directory is you want to save the file in and then right below it you specify the name of the working directory.

Use this launcher it makes life easier.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Matt

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3
    Hi Matt,

I am using the Educational Version of ANSYS. What/where is the Product Launcher if it were to exist on my version?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oooo! I think I found it! Never noticed that before! Looks promising!

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4
    Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks
    Matt

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
    I think that is perfect Matt! There are sooooo many parts to this software (and its just the Ed version!) to learn about! I know what I am doing on Spring break!!!

...has my life really come to this? :)

7. Feb 3, 2010 #6
    Don't forget to study ANSYS. LOL

8. Feb 3, 2010 #7

minger

Science Advisor

Don't ever think that an ANSYS problem is simple, or that you should feel ashamed to ask. ANSYS is a [insert favorite derogatory adjective here] [insert favorite derogatory noun here] to say the least.

I've been using ANSYS daily for two years now and I would say that I'm getting to the point of a non-newb.

Good luck, and give yourself some time off for spring break. There's plenty of time sit in front of that archaic looking GUI typing out input files.

9. Feb 3, 2010 #8
    Haha. Yes, I had already formed this opinion of ANSYS, but was afraid to voice it just yet. I thought that maybe, just maybe, the 'Full' version used a better interface and overall layout. But from what I gather, it does not.

And thanks for getting my back minger! I will be sure to post all of my ANSYS questions now!

10. Feb 3, 2010 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

...and you would be wrong.

One little thing to be careful of with the product launcher is that it should save the last place you used as a working directory. If you are like me and your fingers go faster than your brain, you may look up one day and realize you have a whole bunch of jobs in the same directory. For some people that may not be an issue, but for me it is.

11. Feb 3, 2010 #10

minger

Science Advisor

One more situation that screws me a lot.

I have a starting file, let's call it geom_main.db

I have an input called input.inp which RESUMEs geom_main.db

On the batch page, I create a new job called newjob with the input mentioned above. I run it and realize that something is wrong with geom_main. I go to Prep/Post and open geom_main.

I make the change, go back to the batch tab and hit start. Uh oh, I've just overwritten my nice clean database as the batch tab will take whatever last job name was in Prep/Post.

I've done it several times, be careful.

12. Feb 3, 2010 #11
    Yeah that is what ANSYS should really be called.

Also, never ever ever ever ever use the /clear command. It will wipe out all of your work unless you happen to be using FLOTRAN.

By the way, what version are you using?

Thanks
    Matt

13. Feb 3, 2010 #12

minger

Science Advisor

Probably a better resource is XANSYS. It is a newsgroup/forum that honestly has some serious ANSYS power users. The only problem with that place is that if you ask a simple question, expect to be slightly ridiculed; I've only posted once there.

However, it is a fantastic resource, especially if you're doing some real complex modeling.

14. Feb 3, 2010 #13
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I belong to a programming forum and in there I use an idiot disclaimer at the bottom of all of my posts.

Thanks
    Matt

15. Feb 3, 2010 #14
    Yeah. I am definitely NOT a power user. I am taking my first FEA class and we use the ANSYS educational version. So I think that ant questions I will be asking can be handled here. Perhaps when I take the grad course I will move to another forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook