Finding Force of Contact: 2kg and 3kg Blocks with 10N Horizontal Force

• Thread starter aishax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, two blocks with masses of 2kg and 3kg are in contact on a frictionless table. A 10N horizontal force is applied to the 2kg block. The resulting acceleration of the system is 2.0 m/s^2 and the external forces include a normal force and the applied force. Using this information, the force with which the 3kg block resists the pressure of the 2kg block is found to be -6N.
aishax
A 2-kg block A and a 3-kg block B are in contact on a frictionless table. A horizontal force of 10N is applied to A. Find the force with which B resists the pressure of A.

The answer is -6N. I realize this is a very simple question, I would just like to understand how to get the solution. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aishax, welcome to PF.

Start with drawing some free-body diagrams:
- One of the complete system (A + B)
- One of A only
- One of B only
Hint: The force felt by B must be the amount that makes it accelerate at the same rate as A and as A+B.

What are the "external forces" in each case?

Hello mezarashi :)

Alright, I drew each of those FBDs. I found the acceleration of the system, which was 2.0 m/s^2. I used the acceleration, and found the Fapp on mass A, which was 4.0 N. And Fapp for mass B is 6.0 N.

The external forces are Force normal, and force applied. I'm still a tad lost on the concept still, unfortunately.

Last edited:

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that refers to the push or pull on an object. It can cause objects to move, change direction, or deform.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong, and weak. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and applied forces.

3. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called newtons (N). One newton is equal to the amount of force needed to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared.

4. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

5. How does force affect motion?

Force and motion are directly related. A force can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction or speed. The greater the force applied, the greater the effect on the object's motion.