So, I have this Lasko 20" Box Fan that I think is dead; with one of two possible causes: One, the motor is bad in which case, new fan Two, the switch quit, in which case, I have an AC power line from the wall, with two wires, no ground, connected to the fan. The fan has a rotating-type switch, C is always connected, with L having 1, 2, or 3, for low, medium, high, or no connection on L for off. What'd be the best way of going about testing if it's the switch? I've already (with the fan unplugged) wired the two wires for C together, using orange caps. Would it be (reasonably) safe, to do this on a home circuit with a power strip for a cutoff switch (Since the rotating assembly is busto, and not working at all; plus I lost a part or two to the switch)? Or would it be better to use a generator? I'm at a loss here. I'm trying to avoid unnecessary damage.