Simple Probability: Understanding Odds of Picking Green Marbles from Bags

In summary, the chances of picking the green marble from a bag with eight marbles is 12.5%. In the case of three identical bags, the chances of picking all three green marbles is 1/512 or approximately 0.2%. This is calculated by multiplying the probability of selecting a green marble from each bag, which is 1/8, for a total probability of 1/512.
Paddy
I know this might be really simple, but I get easily confused.

CASE 1.

I have a bag with eight marbles, one of them is green and the remaining seven are red.

If you have to pick a random marble without looking, there is one in eight chances (12.5%) of lifting the green one.

Is this correct?

CASE 2.

I have three identical bags (like the one in case 1).

What are the chances of picking the three green ones? 3 in 24? (25%) this is how i though it would work out, but logically I predicted that it would have been more difficult to pick the three out of all the 24 (From three different bags), so I thought I was doing something wrong.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi There,

In terms of CASE 1:

P(green)=1/8

In Terms of CASE 2:

E1=result of the first bag
E2=result of the second bag
E3=result of the third bag

P(E1nE2nE3)=(1/8)*(1/8)*(1/8)=1/512

This should be correct, hope it helps

regards Steven

Last edited:
Thank you! That's what it was!

That does answer my doubt.

1. What is simple probability?

Simple probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring. It is used to quantify the chances of a particular outcome in a given situation, based on the total number of possible outcomes.

2. How is simple probability calculated?

Simple probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What are odds in simple probability?

Odds are another way of expressing the likelihood of an event occurring. Unlike probability, which is usually expressed as a fraction, odds are typically represented as a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the number of unfavorable outcomes.

4. How do you calculate the odds of picking a green marble from a bag?

To calculate the odds of picking a green marble from a bag, you would need to know the total number of marbles in the bag and the number of green marbles. The odds can then be expressed as a ratio of the number of green marbles to the total number of marbles.

5. How can simple probability be used in real life?

Simple probability can be used in a variety of real-life situations, such as predicting the outcome of a sports game, determining the chances of winning a lottery, or estimating the likelihood of a certain event occurring in a scientific experiment. It can also be used to make informed decisions and assess risk in various scenarios.