Really simple problem - can't get right answer

• Thread starter justagirl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a 50kg block sliding on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60. A force of 400 N is applied at an angle of 20° above the horizontal. The question asks for the magnitude of the block's acceleration, with answer choices of 0.54 m/s2, 2.31 m/s2, 3.27 m/s2, 6.78 m/s2, and 8.11 m/s2. After calculations, it is determined that the acceleration in the x-direction is 1.67 m/s2, but the y-component of the force (400*sin(20)) also needs to be taken into account.
justagirl
Suppose a 50kg block slides along a
horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction
between the block and the surface is uk = 0.60. A force F =
400 N is now applied, where the
angle of the force above horizontal is 20°.

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

0.54 m/s2
2.31 m/s2
3.27 m/s2
6.78 m/s2
8.11 m/s2

Here's what i did:

F(x-net) = F(applied) - F(friction) = ma
a = F(applied) - F(friction) / m
= (400)(cos 20) - (50 * 9.8 * 0.6) / 50
= 375 N - 294 N / 50 kg
= 1.67 m/s2

I checked my numbers quite a few times and keep getting
1.67, which is not one of the answer choices. The only thing
I saw was that 3.72 m/s2 is exactly double what I got, but I
can't find an explanation for that.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 3.27.
You gave the right anwser for the acceleration in the x-direction. Now when you look vertically in the y direction you still have the y-component of the 400 N-force that you forgot (gravity and normal force annihilate each other)

This y-component = 400*sin(20)

Then calculate a_y and you already have a_x =1.67 which is correct.

The magnitude is sqrt((a_x)² + (a_y)²)

marlon

It seems like you have made a small calculation error in your solution. When finding the net force in the x-direction, you should use the sine function instead of the cosine function since the applied force is at an angle of 20° above the horizontal. So, the correct calculation would be:

F(x-net) = F(applied) - F(friction) = ma
a = F(applied) - F(friction) / m
= (400)(sin 20) - (50 * 9.8 * 0.6) / 50
= 136 N - 294 N / 50 kg
= -3.16 m/s2

Since the direction of the acceleration is opposite to the direction of the applied force, the magnitude of the acceleration would be 3.16 m/s2. This value is closer to the answer choice of 3.27 m/s2, so it is likely the correct answer.

It's always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct trigonometric function for the given angle. I hope this helps you find the correct answer!

1. Why am I unable to get the right answer to a seemingly simple problem?

There could be multiple reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the problem or the concept behind it. It could also be due to errors in your calculations or assumptions. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check your work to identify the possible cause of the incorrect answer.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and critical thinking. It is important to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to use logic and reasoning to find solutions. Additionally, seeking guidance and feedback from others can also help improve problem-solving abilities.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when I am stuck on a problem?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help when you are stuck on a problem. Asking for help can provide a fresh perspective and help you identify any mistakes or misunderstandings. It is important to seek help from reliable sources, such as mentors, peers, or reputable online resources.

4. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by comparing it to the correct solution or by testing it with different values. It is also helpful to review your problem-solving process to ensure that it is logical and follows the correct steps. If you are still unsure, you can seek feedback from others or consult with a subject matter expert.

5. What should I do if I consistently struggle with solving problems?

If you consistently struggle with solving problems, it is important to identify the root cause. It could be due to a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts or a need for more practice and exposure to different types of problems. Seeking additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or attending workshops, can also be beneficial in improving problem-solving skills.