Where to Position an Object for a 2.5x Erect Image in a Concave Mirror?

• Thread starter Vidatu
  • Start date
In summary: You have it all there.In summary, the question is asking where to place an object in front of a concave mirror with radius R in order to get an erect image that is 2.5 times the size of the object. The object must be placed within the focal length of the mirror, and the image will be virtual. The correct equations to use are 1/s + 1/s' = 2/R and m = h'/h = -s'/s. The correct solution is s' = -3/4 R.
Vidatu
Really simple question about mirrors

Homework Statement

Where must you place an object in front of a concave mirror with radius R so that the image is erect and 2.5 times the size of the object? Where is the image?

Homework Equations

[tex]1/s + 1/s' = 2/R[/tex]
[tex]m = h'/h = -s'/s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the object will be within the focal length of the mirror, and the image will be virtual. However, I'm having problems with the signs of my values. I know that the object distance will be positive, the radius of curvature will be positive, and the image distance will be negative. What's the right way to put this into the equations?

From [tex]m = h'/h = -s'/s[/tex] I get [tex]s = -s'/2.5[/tex], and from there, I substitute s into [tex]1/s + 1/s' = 2/R[/tex] to get [tex] 1/s - 1/(s'/2.5) = 2/R[/tex]. This gives me [tex] s' = -3/4 R[/tex]. I don't think this is right, as I get a negative object distance and positive image distance, which shouldn't happen. Can anyone give me some help with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone able to help with this?

No help at all?

My earlier post deleted. Possibly wrong calculation.

Hmm. I think I may have been really, really stupid with this. Anyone who wants a good laugh at me, look at my calculations again. Yeah, I really thought, after writing that out and typing it in that that negative was a positive. And that two negatives make another negative. Wow, go me.

In any case, this is done. How exactly do I mark it as solved?

Reposting it: quite correct.

Source is at (3/5)f.

1/do + 1/di = i/f and -di/do = 2.5.

You can find di now.

Oh, we must have been typing at the same time (almost).

1. How do mirrors work?

Mirrors work by reflecting light. When light hits the smooth surface of a mirror, it bounces off at the same angle it hit the mirror, creating a reflection. This reflection is what allows us to see ourselves or objects in front of the mirror.

2. Why are mirrors always backwards?

Mirrors are not actually backwards, but they create a mirror image of what is in front of them. This is because light is reflected off the mirror's surface, creating a reversed image of the original object. However, if you write on a piece of paper and hold it up to a mirror, the writing will appear backwards because it is being reflected off the mirror's surface.

3. How are mirrors made?

Mirrors are made by coating one side of a piece of glass with a thin layer of metal, typically aluminum or silver. This metal coating reflects light and creates a clear image. The back of the glass is then painted with a protective layer to prevent the metal from scratching or tarnishing.

4. Can mirrors break?

Yes, mirrors can break just like any other glass object. However, because the metal coating is on the back of the glass, the front surface of the mirror may remain intact even if the back is broken. This is why you may see shattered mirrors that still have a clear reflection in certain areas.

5. Do mirrors have any practical uses besides seeing reflections?

Yes, mirrors have many practical uses besides simply seeing reflections. They are used in telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to reflect and focus light. They are also used in solar panels to concentrate and reflect sunlight. Mirrors are also used in many industrial and scientific applications, such as lasers and optical devices.