Really simple question.... how do I shaft mount?

• Thread starter sixsouls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shaft
In summary, the conversation is about making a 3D model of a linear actuator using a roller pinion with a keyed bore. The person is unsure how to mount it to a DC motor and is asking for help understanding the parts needed and the mounting process. They learn that they need a motor with a similar sized keyway groove and will also need a way to prevent the wheel from sliding off the shaft.
sixsouls
I'm trying to make a 3D model of a linear actuator. I'm using this roller pinion: http://www.nexengroup.com/nxn/products/details/id/966828

It has a keyed bore and says I need a shaft mount but I have no idea how I'm supposed to mount it to a DC motor...

Could someone please explain the parts I will need and how to mount it? I know this is a really stupid question but I've been stuck on this for a while now and it's doing my head in

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basically - yes . But there must also be a means of stopping wheel from sliding off axially when in use . Typically a side screw in wheel or a nut on end of shaft .

Nidum said:
Basically - yes . But there must also be a means of stopping wheel from sliding off axially when in use . Typically a side screw in wheel or a nut on end of shaft .
Thank you!

What is shaft mounting?

Shaft mounting is a method of attaching a mechanical component, such as a gear or pulley, to a rotating shaft in a machine.

What are the benefits of shaft mounting?

Shaft mounting provides a secure and stable attachment of components to a shaft, ensuring efficient and reliable operation of the machine.

How do I shaft mount a component?

To shaft mount a component, first make sure the dimensions of the shaft and the component are compatible. Then, use a keyway or set screws to secure the component to the shaft, making sure it is centered and aligned properly.

What tools do I need for shaft mounting?

You will need a wrench, a keyway cutter or broach, and set screws for shaft mounting. Depending on the type of component, you may also need a press or other specialized tools.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when shaft mounting?

Yes, it is important to wear proper protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, when handling tools and components during shaft mounting. It is also important to ensure the machine is turned off and the shaft is not rotating before attempting to shaft mount a component.