Can You Assume the Converse in Mathematical Proofs?

• Thread starter Kamataat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether one can assume the converse of a mathematical statement while proving it. The participants also discuss the use of reductio ad absurdum and proofs by contradiction in mathematics. It is mentioned that assuming the converse is not circular as long as the propositions involved are not equivalent. The conversation ends with a clarification that assuming the converse can lead to a logical contradiction and ultimately prove the original statement.
Kamataat
I didn't want to post this in the logic subforum, because it's really basic...

I know that when proving mathematical statements, one can't assume what he/she is trying to prove. But can one assume its converse?

- Kamataat

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You mean like reductio ad absurdum...?It's by far the most elegant method of mathematics...

Daniel.

The constructivists may disagree that it is the most elegant, and indeed proofs by contradiction are to be frowned upon if they are unnecessary - often doing a proof by contradiction merely shows what we first started with to be true directly, and we've jist added pointless length to it.

You may assume not(X) is true and show that if so then we derive a logical contradiction, hence not(X) is false, X is true. Is that what you're getting at?

Do you mean converse or negation? I've only seen converse applied to conditionals: (Q -> P) is the converse of (P -> Q). Note that the reason you "can't" assume the proposition you're trying to prove is only that such an argument is circular; Circular arguments are still valid- they just don't tell you anything new. With one exception- when P and Q are equivalent- you can assume the converse of a proposition without being circular, since [(Q -> P) -> (P -> Q)] is a contingent proposition, i.e., [(Q -> P) therefore (P -> Q)] is an invalid argument; Its counterexample is [Q is false, P is true]).

Last edited:
matt grime said:

You may assume not(X) is true and show that if so then we derive a logical contradiction, hence not(X) is false, X is true. Is that what you're getting at?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks!

- Kamataat

What is the purpose of asking a really simple question?

Asking a really simple question can help clarify a concept or topic that may seem confusing or overwhelming. It can also be a good starting point for further exploration and learning.

How can I make sure my really simple question is understood?

To ensure that your question is understood, try to use clear and concise language and avoid using jargon or technical terms. You can also provide context or examples to help clarify your question.

Can a really simple question lead to a complex answer?

Yes, a really simple question can often lead to a complex answer. This is because even seemingly simple concepts can have many layers and nuances that need to be explored and explained.

Why is it important to ask really simple questions in science?

In science, asking really simple questions can help scientists gain a better understanding of complex phenomena. It can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in scientific knowledge.

Are really simple questions only for beginners?

No, really simple questions can be asked by anyone at any level of expertise. In fact, many scientists use really simple questions to challenge their own understanding and push the boundaries of their research.