1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really stumped with a limit proof question

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the following question that I'm struggling with quite a bit:

aNI7p.png

Our instructor gave us the hint that we could break it up by proving

a) Proving that 0 <= an < 1 which I managed to do by induction

b) Proving that 0 <= an =< k^(n-1) for n > 0

and then using the squeeze theorem.

2. Relevant equations

None that I know of?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a lot of trouble with part b, I had the thought that I could try to again do it by induction but I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall. I'll show my working so far.

I thought that if I could prove that a(n+1) =< an then it would be trivial to prove by induction that an =< k^(n-1) because I could show a1 =< k^(1-1) and then claim an =< k^(n-1) and then it'd follow that a(n+1) =< k^(n-1) because a(n+1) =< an. Is this a legitimate way of proving it?

So I was thinking I needed to prove that an >= a(n+1) and I tried doing it like this:

so k = a(n+1)/(an(1 - an))

then for an =\= 0:

0 <= a(n+1)/(an(1 - an)) < 1
    0 <= a(n+1)/an < (1 - an)
    0 <= a(n+1)/an < 1
    0 <= a(n+1) < an

So as long as an isn't 0 then it's always larger than a(n+1). This is great and helps me with the k^(n-1) bit.

but what about when an is 0? How on earth do I factor that in? I've been scratching my head for ages but haven't really come up with a way to go about doing it.

My best thought so far is to prove that if an is ever 0 then it has always been 0 and it always will be which means that it will always be equal or less than k^(n - 1). I know an will only be 0 if a0 is equal to 0 or 1 or if k is 0 and I think I can show fairly easily if any of those conditions are true then an will stay 0 forever but how do I go back the other way and prove that if an is 0 it means it always has been 0? (and therefore always less than k^(n-1)?) Really pulling out my hair here.

Or am I going about it completely wrong and there's an easy way of doing this that I'm completely missing?

I get the feeling I might be a very very small nudge away from getting there so if anyone has any thoughts they'd really be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you look at the function f(x)=x*(1-x) then what's the maximum of that function for x=[0,1]?

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    It has a maximum between 0 and 1 so at x = 0.5 so 0.25. Sorry, wish I was smart enough to see where you were going with this but I'm not sure what to do with this information.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, you probably don't even need that. If you have already figured out that 0 <= an < 1. Then isn't an*(1-an)<an? So [itex]a_{n+1}<=k a_n[/itex].

6. Mar 9, 2012 #5
    I'm trying to prove that an*(1-an)<an so that I can prove [itex]a_{n+1}<=k a_n[/itex] but I'm having trouble with the former proof.

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1-an)<=1. So (1-an)*an<=an. Isn't that enough?

8. Mar 10, 2012 #7
    What am I doing wrong here?

0 <= 1 - an <= 1
    0 <= k*(1 - an) < 1 (because 0 <= k < 1)
    0 <= k*an(1 - an) < an
    0 <= a(n + 1) < an

I know a(n + 1) can be equal to an so I shouldn't be getting a strictly less than there should I? But there's definitely no way for k*(1 - an) = 1, because k can't be 1.

9. Mar 10, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the only way a(n+1) can equal a(n) is if a(n)=0. I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

10. Mar 10, 2012 #9
    I agree but shouldn't my inequality reflect that? For me to say that a(n+1) is less than an is correct isn't it? Or do I say that a(n+1) is less than an unless an and a(n+1) are both 0? Wouldn't I need to prove that?

11. Mar 10, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have the strict inequality a<b and c>=0, then you only know ac<=bc. You can't conclude ac<bc because c could be 0. Is that what you are asking about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook