1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Realtivity question

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    I have a problem from my modern physic class I'm hoping to get some insight on... I got an answer, but it seems, well, odd...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Inertial frame S' moves with speed v=[tex]\frac{3c}{5}[/tex] in the +xdirextion past inertial frameS. Event A is a synchronizing event. Event B occurs at t=0 in Frame S and at position x'=1 meter in frame S'. Given:

For Event A:

For Event B:
    [tex]x_{B}'=1 meter[/tex]

[tex]x_{B}[/tex] and [tex]t_{B}[/tex]'

2. Relevant equations

The relevent equations are the two lorentz transforms:

3. The attempt at a solution

For [tex]x_{B}[/tex]:
    Applying equation 1 I get,

Then [tex]x=\frac{4}{5} meters[/tex]

and for [tex]t_{B}[/tex]' I get (applying equation 2),

[tex]t'=\frac{t}{\gamma}-\frac{vx'}{c^{2}}=-2.001 x 10^{-9} seconds[/tex]

I'm confused about the second answer. Did I do something wrong? or does this just mean that in frame S' the event happens [tex]-2.001 x 10^{-9}[/tex] seconds prior to t=0 in frame S?

Heeeeeeeelp please!
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

You didn't do anything wrong. The event happens [tex]2*10^{-9}[/tex] seconds before t'=0 (that is in the S' frame). It just means that in the S' frame, this event happens before the synchronization event.

I wouldn't put it that way. You can't really say that an event happens in frame S' before that same event happens in frame S... before and after can only be used when comparing events in the same frame...
  4. Sep 5, 2007 #3
    OK, that makes sense... thanks alot, i really appreciate it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?