Estimating Collision Duration in Rear-End Car Crashes

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of whiplash and how it can occur in a rear-end collision. The speaker was trying to figure out the velocity of each car after a collision and was looking for information on how to calculate this. They came across a website that discussed momentum and collisions, but were still confused about how to determine the velocity of each car. The conversation also addressed the role of friction in the collision and how it can affect the momentum. Suggestions were made about using conservation of momentum and conservation of energy to estimate the duration of the collision.
Frank_Horrigan
For school I have to explain how whiplash can occur if a driver is at a read light and he seat doesn't support his head, and he gets hit from behind. Now I was thinking that I needed to find the velocity of the car after it had been hit from behind, so that I could find the corce acting on the drivers head. Upon investigation I found that collisions have to do with momentum, But i was unable to find out the key thing i was looking for, which is :

If car one is stopped at a red light, and car 2 is moving at a known velocity (and you know both cars masses) how do u figure out the velocity of each car after a rear collision?

I've been looking at this site so far and it has confused me:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/momentum/momentumTOC.html

On that site there are examples where the ars bounce backwards after impact, is this wha owuld happen on a normal road? I would think that either car 2 would stop and car 1 would get car 2's velocity, or that both of there velocitys would be positive after collision. Also would the force of friction on the road cause momentum to be lost after the collision? or can I assume it's negligable for this car crash senario?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, remember that most such collisions occur when "car 1" is stopped and the driver has his foot on the brake! In that case you certainly would have to take into account the friction force (in the brakes). The may be more complicated than what you intend. Assuming car 1 does NOT have brake set and that car 1 and car 2 have the same mass, then, you need to take into account the "elasticity" of the collision. With a perfectly elastic collision using both conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, car 2 will come to a stop and car 1 will start moving with car 2's speed.
But the question you want to consider is how much time will this take! In an "ideal", textbook problem, you would probably assume a perfectly elastic collision and that would become "infinitesmally" small and the force, for that instant, would be infinite. In reality both cars will crumple, spreading the force over some period of time. The total change in the speed of the cars, times their mass, is the "impulse" and the average force is that impulse divided by the time.

Frank Horrigan,

Picking up on Halls of Ivy's suggestion, a reasonable approximation might be that after the collision, each car is going at half the original speed of car 2 (that conserves momentum and cuts KE in half). So suppose car 2 was going at 30 mph before the collision, how could you estimate the duration of the collision?

1. What is rear collision momentum?

Rear collision momentum is the force generated when one vehicle strikes another from behind. It is the product of the mass and velocity of the moving vehicle.

2. How does rear collision momentum affect vehicle occupants?

Rear collision momentum can cause significant damage to the vehicles involved and can also impact the occupants. The force of the collision can cause whiplash, head and neck injuries, and other types of bodily harm.

3. What factors affect the rear collision momentum?

The main factors that affect rear collision momentum are the mass and velocity of the moving vehicle. The larger the mass and higher the velocity, the greater the momentum will be.

4. Can rear collision momentum be reduced?

Yes, rear collision momentum can be reduced by implementing safety features such as seat belts, airbags, and headrests in vehicles. Properly designed and functioning crumple zones in cars can also help absorb some of the impact and reduce the force of the collision.

5. How can rear collision momentum be calculated?

Rear collision momentum can be calculated using the formula: momentum = mass x velocity. The mass should be measured in kilograms and the velocity in meters per second. The resulting unit for momentum will be kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).