1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearange equations

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    F = A Q1Q2/r2

simple steps to make A the subject and the SI units i should use?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2
    can you please clarify your question?

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    yes sorry i need simple steps to make a the subject of this equation

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4
    this is coulombs law and i als need to use the correct SI unts to represent A

F = force
    Q1 = Charge 1
    Q2 = Charge 2
    A is the constant
    and r2 is the sepeation

6. Apr 14, 2010 #5
    Still not sure, but, well, if i guess correctly:

0. F=A Q1Q2/r2 (i would expect to be r^2, but the steps are the same ;P) // multiply both sides by r2

1. F*r2=A Q1Q2 // Divide both sides by Q1Q2 (or first by Q1, and then by Q2)
    2.F r2/Q1Q1=A
    3.A=Fr2/Q1Q2

life can be that simple :P
    But i still believe it's r^2

E: Units A=[N*m^2/C^2]=[kg*(m/s^2)*m^2/(As)^2]=[kg*m^3/(A^2*s^4)]... I hope it's fine XD

7. Apr 14, 2010 #6
    well, im not sure if i understood your question ..

anyway .. you know that:

F : is measured in newton (N)
    r : is measured in meter (m)
    Q1, Q2 : in columb (c) ..

so the constant A should have a unit of ( N * m^2 / c^2) , which usually is taken as 9x10^9

8. Apr 15, 2010 #7
    great thankyou very much, how do you work out Nm^2 / c^2 are the SI units and what does Nm^2 actualy stand for, i am struggling to understand what a constant actualy is and how it is measured?

9. Apr 15, 2010 #8
    Newtons and Coulombs are not SI units. I mean.. SI consists of just a couple of basic units:
    kg
    m
    s
    A
    cd
    K
    mol

All other units derive from those 7. Hence if you want "pure" SI units, take a peek at my previous post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook