Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rearangement of series

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My book proves that if a series is absolutely convergent, then every rearangement is absolutely convergent also.

They then argue that the thm does not hold for conditionally convergeant series and give as a counter exemple the following thing: Let [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] be a conditionally convergent series and define the positive part of {a_n} by p_n = a_n if a_n > 0 and =0 otherwise and the negative part of {a_n} by q_n = a_n if a_n < 0 and =0 otherwise. Then observe that

[tex]p_n=\frac{a_n+|a_n|}{2}[/tex]

and

[tex]q_n=\frac{a_n-|a_n|}{2}[/tex]

or that inversely,

[tex]|a_n|=p_n-q_n[/tex] and [tex]a_n=p_n+q_n[/tex]

But what does this prove? Where is the rearangement?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    all i can imagine is that neither of those new smaller series is convergent

edit

i think only [tex] p_n [/tex] is divergent so i don't know what that does

mathworld says

If [tex]\Sigma u_k[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma v_k[/tex] are convergent series, then [tex]\Sigma (u_k+v_k)[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma (u_k-v_k)[/tex] are convergent.

but i don't know if the reverse ( or w/e the proper word is ) has to be true

where if [tex]\Sigma u_k[/tex] is divergent then [tex]\Sigma (u_k+v_k)[/tex] is also divergent

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  4. Jun 9, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ugh. Sorry ice109 if you spent time thinking about this. I just realized that the definitions and observations made in my OP are just a kind of lemma to Riemann's theorem that every conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to converge to any real number or to diverge.

5. Jun 9, 2007 #4
    which theorem is that?

6. Jun 9, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well I just stated it:

"every conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to converge to any real number or to diverge."

7. Jun 9, 2007 #6
    i meant which theorem so i coud look up a proof

8. Jun 9, 2007 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What more can I say other than that it's a thm of Riemann and give you the exact statement? :confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook