1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearangement of series

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My book proves that if a series is absolutely convergent, then every rearangement is absolutely convergent also.

They then argue that the thm does not hold for conditionally convergeant series and give as a counter exemple the following thing: Let [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] be a conditionally convergent series and define the positive part of {a_n} by p_n = a_n if a_n > 0 and =0 otherwise and the negative part of {a_n} by q_n = a_n if a_n < 0 and =0 otherwise. Then observe that

[tex]p_n=\frac{a_n+|a_n|}{2}[/tex]

and

[tex]q_n=\frac{a_n-|a_n|}{2}[/tex]

or that inversely,

[tex]|a_n|=p_n-q_n[/tex] and [tex]a_n=p_n+q_n[/tex]

But what does this prove? Where is the rearangement?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    all i can imagine is that neither of those new smaller series is convergent

edit

i think only [tex] p_n [/tex] is divergent so i don't know what that does

mathworld says

If [tex]\Sigma u_k[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma v_k[/tex] are convergent series, then [tex]\Sigma (u_k+v_k)[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma (u_k-v_k)[/tex] are convergent.

but i don't know if the reverse ( or w/e the proper word is ) has to be true

where if [tex]\Sigma u_k[/tex] is divergent then [tex]\Sigma (u_k+v_k)[/tex] is also divergent

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  4. Jun 9, 2007 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ugh. Sorry ice109 if you spent time thinking about this. I just realized that the definitions and observations made in my OP are just a kind of lemma to Riemann's theorem that every conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to converge to any real number or to diverge.

5. Jun 9, 2007 #4
    which theorem is that?

6. Jun 9, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well I just stated it:

"every conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to converge to any real number or to diverge."

7. Jun 9, 2007 #6
    i meant which theorem so i coud look up a proof

8. Jun 9, 2007 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What more can I say other than that it's a thm of Riemann and give you the exact statement? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?