1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearrangement of infinite series

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    I'm working on this problem:
    Prove that if |x|<1, then
    1 + x^2 + x + x^4 + x^6 + x^3 + x^10 + x^5 + ...= 1/(1-x).
    I know that this is a rearrangement of the (absolutely convergent) geometric series, so it converges to the same limit. My trouble is proving that the rearrangement represents a 1-1 and onto mapping of the natural number onto themselves. I wrote out the terms and found the pattern, but I can't seem to get a formula for it. I'm stuck. Here's what I got:The first column represents the geometric series. The number after the colon is the rearrangement, and the last column is how I related the rearrangement to the origional goemetric series.

It has a definite pattern, and I can see it, but I can't write a formula down that works so that I can show it's bijective. I'm not sure that I am going about this correctly.
    Any input will be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Hint, perhaps.

How do you construct a bijection from [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex]?
  4. Nov 5, 2005 #3
    I let 0=1, -n=n+1 and n=2n+1...or something similar.
    How does that help me map [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] to [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] in my situation?
  5. Nov 5, 2005 #4
    any help? Any thoughts?
  6. Nov 5, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems pretty simple to me, for n, some natrual number.

3n ==> 4n
    3n + 1 ==> 4n + 2
    3n + 2 ==> 2n + 1

Doesn't take much beyond that to work it out.
  7. Nov 6, 2005 #6
    thanks! I just had a block on getting the formula for the pattern. I now have it solved! AWESOME!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?