1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging a formula

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    1. Rearrange the following equation
    2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2
    into the form Ax2+ Bx + C = 0

I did it and got -x2 + 8x + 4 = 0

Am I correct please?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Could you please show your step-by-step work? That will make it easier for us to check it.

4. Nov 4, 2016 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks good to me. You should usually show your work in step-by-step fashion. Trying to do too much in your head is slow and error-prone.

5. Nov 4, 2016 #4
    See picture attached for working out

Attached Files:

6. Nov 4, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, your final equation in incorrect. Start again, and this time do it the easy way: re-write ##2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2)## by putting both terms over a common denominator. I really could not figure out what you were trying to do in your original working, but whatever it was produced errors.

7. Nov 4, 2016 #6
    Where am I going wrong... I need to rearrange the following equation 2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2 into the form Ax2+ Bx + C = 0

Here's my work:

2/(x-2) + 2/(x+2) = 1/2

2 + 2(x-2)/(x+2) - (x-2)/2 = 0
    2(x+2) + 2(x-2) - (x-2)(x+2)/2 = 0
    4(x+2)+4(x-2)-(x-2)(x+2) = 0
    4x+8+4x-8-(x2 - 2x+2x-4) = 0
    8x-x2+4 = 0
    -x2 +8x+4 = 0

8. Nov 4, 2016 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that your answer is correct ... with two caveats.
    1) Always keep track of values of x that are invalid: x=2 or x=-2 cause a divide by 0 in the original equation. So always add the constraints x≠2; x≠-2. (Click on the 'Σ' button at the top of the entry window to get the '≠' symbol, among others.)
    2) Use clear notation for the exponent 2. If you do not have superscripts, type x^2. (On the web site, click on the 'x2' button at the top of the entry window to get superscripts.)

So your final equation should look like:
    -x2 +8x+4 = 0; x ≠ +2; x ≠ -2

9. Nov 4, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry: I missed the minus sign in front of your x^2 term, so ##x^2 -8x - 4=0## IS correct. You wrote it as ##-x^2 + 8x + 4 = 0##, but the usual way of writing polynomial equations is to have the coefficient of the highest power of ##x## being positive (so with ##+x^2## instead of ##-x^2##).

10. Nov 4, 2016 #9
    I'm sorry thank you for the advice

11. Nov 4, 2016 #10
    Why is it then I get two different solution for both equations -x^2 + 8x +4 = 0 and x^2 -8x - 4 = 0 ?

12. Nov 4, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are not two different equations! If ##x^2 -8x-4=0## then also ##0 = -0 = -(8x^2 -8x-4) = -x^2 + 8x + 4##.

OK, I guess you could say they are different, just as ##5x^2 - 40 x - 20=0## looks different; but they are all just simple multiples of each other, and they all have exactly the same solutions.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  13. Nov 6, 2016 #12

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Natasha1 ,

Thus they are called equivalent equations .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted