1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging an Equation

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    Hopefully this can be done. It should be relatively simple, I'm just awful at rearranging equations.

I have: x = 90 - sqrt(100+x^2) - sqrt(100+x)

I want to find the value of x.

If someone could guide me through the process I would be eternally grateful. I know there's something about reversing operations, but I get lost in the details. ;)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2
    I'm sorry, but I don't see any "b" in the equation.

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3
    Oops... so sorry. I meant x. I changed it at the last minute. :hangs head in shame:

5. Dec 14, 2004 #4
    Have you considered squaring the equation and then using the quadratic formula?

6. Dec 14, 2004 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah,a geberal advice...But first,he mustput one (either one) of his square roots in the other side of the equation (left,if i'm not mistaking) and then square.He has to square 2 times in all,of course.Let's hope that by squaring twice he won't be gettin'a nasty 4-th order algebraic equation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?