Transforming Equation A to B: Step-by-Step Guide for Solving Class Notes Problem

• Thread starter Neofit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: It's a good reminder to not give up when things get tough.In summary, the student is struggling with transforming equation A to equation B and is seeking help. They have attached a picture of the equations and have tried for hours without success. They ask for guidance and apologize for their initial frustration.
Neofit
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

There is an equation in my class notes that I do not know how to solve. It is basically transforming equation A to equation B. It is very important to me that I know how to transform it.

Homework Equations

Attached as a picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start here. Tried for hours, did nothing.

IMG_20151014_183911658.jpg

I want to know the method for transforming the equation to form B. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Neofit said:

Homework Statement

There is an equation in my class notes that I do not know how to solve. It is basically transforming equation A to equation B. It is very important to me that I know how to transform it.

Homework Equations

Attached as a picture.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start here. Tried for hours, did nothing.

View attachment 90193
I want to know the method for transforming the equation to form B. Please help!
Show us what you tried. Forum rules say that you must show an effort. The algebra is pretty straightforward.

Sorry for that. I got stuck on something completely ridiculous. Here's my attempt and solution:
IMG_20151014_204919632.jpg

Please delete this thread, or maybe leave it as a reminder of how some people (me) need to try a little bit more when lost and/or take a break for a while, but not freak out.

Thanks

Neofit said:
Please delete this thread, or maybe leave it as a reminder of how some people (me) need to try a little bit more when lost and/or take a break for a while, but not freak out.
We don't normally delete threads after they're posted, for exactly the reason you give.

1. How do I identify the variables in the equation?

The first step in transforming an equation is to identify the variables present. These are typically represented by letters, such as x, y, or z. Look for letters that are not constants or coefficients.

2. What is the goal of transforming an equation?

The goal of transforming an equation is to isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation. This will allow you to solve for the variable and find its numerical value.

3. How do I know which operation to use when transforming an equation?

The operation you use when transforming an equation depends on the operation currently being applied to the variable. For example, if the variable is being multiplied by a number, you will use division to cancel out the multiplication and isolate the variable.

4. Can I use the same operation on both sides of the equation?

Yes, you can use the same operation on both sides of the equation as long as it is done in a balanced manner. For example, if you add 3 to one side of the equation, you must also add 3 to the other side.

5. What should I do if I end up with a variable on both sides of the equation after transforming it?

If you have a variable on both sides of the equation, you can combine like terms to simplify the equation. Then, choose an operation that will eliminate one of the variables and continue transforming the equation until you have isolated the variable you are solving for.