1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging equation

1. Dec 14, 2003 #1
    How do I calculate t from the following equation?

z=a+b(e^k*t -1)

Guess this should be right to start with:

t=ln(z/b)

but what to do with the a and -1? and how do I calculate ln(z/b)? as lnz/lnb? I've tried thinking (didn't work *smirk*) and trial and error with simple numers (didn't work either)

thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, am I correct in presuming that you mean:

[tex]
    z = a + b (e^{kt} - 1)
    [/tex]

? If so, then you need to group the exponent with parentheses; the correct way to write it is z=a+b(e^(k*t) -1).

(Order of operations says you do exponentiation before multiplication)

Anyways, this is a chance to use stuff you've learned previously. :smile: It looks like you want to use the fact:

[tex]
    x = b^y \rightarrow \log_b x = y
    [/tex]

right? However, note that the exponentiation has to be by itself on one side of the equation. Do you know how to do that?

Compute z/b then take the log, just like the expression states.

4. Dec 14, 2003 #3
    Yes, that equation of yours is what I meant. Should have read the faw on how to write equations in a forum.

I also understand the equation you wrote further down, but I guess I'm really to stupid to rearrange teh whole equation to t=....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook