1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging equation

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Hello.

I am hoping someone can help me rearrange the following equation for t.

I'm getting better at these, but this one stumps me.

C(x,t) = Cserfc(x/2√(Dt))

I was starting with C(x,t)/Cs = erfc(x/2√(Dt))

But from here I am not sure how to deal with the square root and the t buried in the square root.

Thanks.

Seán

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    If I remember right, this equation corresponds to Dopant diffusion

C(x,t) = Cs*erfc(x/2√Dt)

C(x,t)/Cs = erfc(x/2√Dt)

erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs) = erfc^-1(erfc(x/2√Dt))

(2*erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs))/x = 1/√Dt

Square both sides,

1/t = D*((2*erfc^-1*(C(x,t)/Cs))/x)^2

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is not clear what you are asking. Is Cserfc(x/2√(Dt)) the _definition_ of the object C(x,t)? If so, you presumably have an equation of the form Cserfc(x/2√(Dt)) = v (where v is some value) and you want to solve this for t. You would have t on only one side of this equation. It wold be farily easy to solve: just find a value of z giving erfc(z) = v/Cs (which can be found numerically if v and C_s are known numbers); then solve z = x/2√(Dt) for t. However, if C(x,t) is some other function of x and t that you want to equate to Cserfc(x/2√(Dt)) , then you would have t on both sides of your equation, and without knowing more about the function C(x,t) we cannot say very much.

RGV

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4
    It does, yea ...and thanks for the work through. I will go over it a few times until I have it in my head.

Again, many thanks.

Seán

6. Dec 3, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If C(x,t) is a function with t in it this will NOT isolate t, as you still have t on both sides of the equation. That is why I asked you in my first post EXACTLY what was your question. You did not answer.

RGV

7. Dec 3, 2011 #6
    I am sorry if this offended you.

I did not answer for a number of reasons.

1. I did not fully understand what you were asking, and
    2. Someone else posted a reply which seemed to give me the answer.

The (x,t) part seem to be largely ignored in sample questions. Maybe I should have just written my question as C = .....

Anyway, sorry I did not respond to your question directly, and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Seán

8. Dec 3, 2011 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not offended. I was trying to help you better understand your problem, and to do that I posed a question whose answer would, I think, be helpful to you.

RGV

9. Dec 3, 2011 #8
    Hello.

Well, I will try to understand your question better, and see where that takes me :)

Seán

10. Dec 3, 2011 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let me give you an example. Isolate "t" in the following two problems.
    (1) erfc(x/sqrt(t))= 0.25 (an "easy" problem); or
    (2) erfc(x/sqrt(t)) = .5*sin(x^3 + 3t^2 + t) (a really, really difficult problem).

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook