Solving Equations: Finding k and a with t=2π√(m/k) and s=ut+½at²

• Thread starter Large dwarf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of 'k' in the equation t=2π (square root m/k), as well as converting the equation s=ut + ½at^2 to y=mx in order to find 'a'. The expert summarizer advises to check for errors in calculations and notes that the equation relating s and t is quadratic, not a straight line. They also mention Hooke's Law and finding the strain energy using E=1/2kx^2. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using Excel to calculate data and the importance of checking for consistent units. Finally, the conversation touches on finding the maximum GPE and solving for 'x' with given data.
Large dwarf

Homework Statement

t=2π (square root m/k). Find the value of 'k'.

2. The attempt at a solution

t2= 4π^2m/k

k=4π^2m/
t^2

When data is inputted, 'k' should equal 141, but when I do it, the number varies and is significantly greater than 141, but starts with those 3 figures. Is it something wrong with the equation or error actually calculating?

My other question is converting s=ut + ½at^2 to y=mx so that I can find out 'a'. I made it so s/t=u+at with s/t equalling 'y', 'a' equalling 'm' and 'x' equalling 't', but the gradient of the graph is about half (not exactly though) what it should be. It should equal 9.81 or whatever gravity's acceleration is, but it equals 4.9532. Have I done the wrong graph then?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first, your error must lie in your calculation.

For the second, you can't actually get that equation into the y=mx form, where y is a function of x, because the equation relating s and t is a quadratic, meaning it is an equation of the second degree, and therefore not a straight line.

Other than that, you have missed the 1/2 in the second term, i.e., s/t = u+(a/2t), so that when you eventually get 'a' to one side, your answer of 4.9532 would have been multiplied by 2.

neutrino said:
For the first, your error must lie in your calculation.

For the second, you can't actually get that equation into the y=mx form, where y is a function of x, because the equation relating s and t is a quadratic, meaning it is an equation of the second degree, and therefore not a straight line.

Other than that, you have missed the 1/2 in the second term, i.e., s/t = u+(a/2t), so that when you eventually get 'a' to one side, your answer of 4.9532 would have been multiplied by 2.
Thanks, I've inputted the data countless times but it continues to equal the wrong number, I might try using Excel instead to calculate.

I know it's not unequivocally a straight line, but the points do form a decent linear line, but you're right, I forgot to divide by two.

Thanks for the help, I may report back here for more help later on, I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat!

I'm back already for an open appeal. Using knowledge of 'g' as 9.81 and the spring constant 'k' as 141 (I'll go back to showing these later, can't be arsed to figure the error out yet), I need to find out as much as possible out about bouncing 'bod' (one of those toys which you push down and a few seconds after releasing, they spring into the air). The mass of bouncing 'bod' is 6g, what equations can I use to find out other stuff like what force the spring exerts, how much it compresses or anything like that?

Have you come across Hooke's Law?

Large dwarf said:
When data is inputted, 'k' should equal 141, but when I do it, the number varies and is significantly greater than 141, but starts with those 3 figures.[\quote]

Do you mean you get numbers like 141.2342856, 141.872395, 141.729532? In that case, I would say that the extra digits are almost certainly not significant, given that your measured data is probably good to at most three significant figures in the first place.

Or do you mean you get numbers like 14123.42856, 14187.2395, 14172.9532? In that case, your units are probably inconsistent. Make sure you're not mixing meters and centimeters, or something like that.

neutrino said:
Have you come across Hooke's Law?
Admittedly no, but a quick look on Wiki told me all I needed to know, cheers again.

I think I've found the strain energy using E=1/2kx^2 now, so that's 2 things done. If I did (2πx)/t would I find the velocity or have I gone down completely the wrong route. I'm not very confident in my ability with equations as you can probably tell.

EDIT: Ignore, I'm using 1/(2π) multiplied by the square root of m/k which I think gives me the frequency.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Large dwarf said:
When data is inputted, 'k' should equal 141, but when I do it, the number varies and is significantly greater than 141, but starts with those 3 figures.[\quote]

Do you mean you get numbers like 141.2342856, 141.872395, 141.729532? In that case, I would say that the extra digits are almost certainly not significant, given that your measured data is probably good to at most three significant figures in the first place.

Or do you mean you get numbers like 14123.42856, 14187.2395, 14172.9532? In that case, your units are probably inconsistent. Make sure you're not mixing meters and centimeters, or something like that.

My original figures were:

but I do believe Excel has solved that small conundrum as I'm now getting figures like the ones you originally suggested, all around the 141 mark, so I am happy.

Last edited:
Mass=6g
Spring’s constant is 141 (to 3sf)
‘g’=9.81

Max GPE= mgh
Max GPE= ½kx2

If I need to work out 'x' with the data given, how do I go about it?

1. How do you rearrange an equation?

Rearranging an equation involves manipulating the terms and variables in an equation to isolate a specific variable or solve for a desired value.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging equations?

Rearranging equations allows us to solve for unknown variables or find the relationship between different variables in a mathematical equation.

3. What are the steps to rearrange an equation?

The steps to rearrange an equation include identifying the variable you want to isolate, using inverse operations to move the other terms to the other side of the equation, and simplifying the equation to solve for the desired variable.

4. Can you rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any type of equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra and the operations used are reversible.

5. Why is it important to check your rearranged equation?

It is important to check your rearranged equation to ensure that you have correctly solved for the desired variable and that the original equation is still balanced.