Is my equation rearrangement correct?

• Thread starter Bugsy23
  • Start date
In summary, to rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for by applying inverse operations to both sides of the equation. This is useful in solving for unknown values in real-world situations. The steps to rearranging an equation involve identifying the variable, isolating it, simplifying, and checking the answer. Any type of equation can be rearranged as long as it follows the rules of algebra. There is no specific order, but it is important to keep track of steps and simplify before isolating.
Bugsy23
Hi, my algebra skills are a bit rusty so can someone tell me if I've rearranged this equation correctly. This is the original
M=rv²/G

I need to make r the subject so I put
r=GM/v²

Ist that right? Looks a bit off to me. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is OK.

Do you remember how to rearrange? In short - you can do the same operations on both sides of the equal side. So you can multiply both sides by G, and you can divide both sides by v2 (assuming v2 is not zero) - check what cancels out.

1. How do you rearrange an equation?

To rearrange an equation, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by applying inverse operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to both sides of the equation.

2. Why do we need to rearrange equations?

Rearranging equations allows us to solve for a specific variable or quantity in a mathematical equation. This is useful in problem solving and finding unknown values in real-world situations.

3. What are the steps to rearranging an equation?

The steps to rearranging an equation are:
1. Identify the variable you want to solve for.
2. Use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.
3. Simplify both sides of the equation.
4. Check your answer by substituting it back into the original equation.

4. Can you rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any type of equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra, which include maintaining equality and performing the same operation on both sides of the equation.

5. Is there a specific order in which you should rearrange an equation?

There is no specific order in which you should rearrange an equation, but it is important to keep track of your steps and make sure that you are correctly isolating the desired variable. It can also be helpful to start by simplifying any terms or expressions on either side of the equation before isolating the variable.