1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging Equations

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    Alright I'm going absolutely nuts here. It's a simple matter of rearranging an equation and for the life of me I can't do it. I've been working at it for like an hour now to no avail. Here's the equation.

I'm trying to solve for v. I've manipulated this equation every way I can think of and still can't get it. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm stuck. Please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you put either put redundant parenthesis around everything or put the equation in LaTeX format (tutorial is in the general physics stickies)?
  4. Oct 19, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As enigma suggests, there is quite a bit of ambiguity in how you wrote your equation. Here are a few of the possible ways we could interpret what you wrote.

The first part of your equation could be R[T/(v-b)] or (RT)/(v-b)
    The second part could be
    [(a/v)(v+b)(T^.5)] or
    {[a/(v(v+b))](T^0.5)} or

Can you clarify?
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your question appears the same as the one you posted on engineering homework: query.
    Did you mean to post it as a math question or engineering?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?