1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rearranging Formula

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    1. Please can you help me rearrange this formula to find t. I am finding it very difficult.

2. Rearrange formula s=ut+1/2at^2 to find 't'
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

You must show your work in order to get our help on the PF. What can you tell us about the quadratic equation and how it is used to solve for t in equations like the one you show?
  4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    um I know that since both side of the equation are equal anything you do to oneside you must do to the other so it stays equal while rearranging and for everything that has already been done to the first part you must do the opposite.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  5. Mar 8, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is a quadratic equation. The easiest way to solve such an equation is to use the quadratic formula. Do you know it?
  6. Mar 8, 2007 #5
    I dont sorry but after looking on the internet I think its:
  7. Mar 8, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's the general form of a quadratic equation. The quadratic formula says that [tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]
  8. Mar 8, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can solve it using what you've stated here too. Did you learn about "completing the square"?

hint: if not, do a google search on it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?