How to Rearrange the Formula d=Vft-1/2at^2 to Solve for a

• Thread starter annjolino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, rearranging a formula involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation using inverse operations. This allows for easier use in calculations and solving real-world problems. Rearranging can be done in any order as long as the equality of the equation is maintained, but it is important to keep track of steps and avoid mistakes. Tips for rearranging include starting with terms that do not contain the variable and performing the same operation to both sides of the equation. If you get stuck, try working backwards and double checking your work.
annjolino

Homework Statement

rearrange the formula d=Vft-1/2at^2 to solve for a

Homework Equations

d = Vft-1/2at^2
d+ 1/2at^2 = Vft
1/2at^2 = Vft-d
1/2a = Vft-d / t^2

then does a = 2 (Vft-d / t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct.

excellent thank you

annjolino said:
then does a = 2 (Vft-d / t^2)

Hi annjolino! :smile:

What I expect you meant is right …

but what you've written is wrong …

should be a = 2 (Vft-d) / t^2 …

you'll lose marks in the exam if you get brackets in the wrong place! :wink:

(and you could have missed out the line d+ 1/2at^2 = Vft)

1. How do I rearrange a formula?

Rearranging a formula involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. To do this, you can use inverse operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to move terms from one side of the equation to the other.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging formulas?

Rearranging formulas allows you to manipulate equations to solve for a specific variable, making it easier to use in calculations or to solve real-world problems. It also helps to simplify complex equations and make them more understandable.

3. Can I rearrange formulas in any order?

Yes, as long as you use inverse operations to maintain the equality of the equation, you can rearrange formulas in any order. However, it is important to keep track of your steps and make sure you are not making any mistakes along the way.

4. Are there any tips for rearranging formulas?

One tip for rearranging formulas is to start with the terms that do not contain the variable you are solving for. This will help to simplify the equation and make it easier to isolate the variable. Also, it is important to always perform the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

5. What should I do if I get stuck while rearranging a formula?

If you get stuck while rearranging a formula, try working backwards from the desired variable and use the inverse operations to move terms to the other side of the equation. You can also double check your work and make sure you are following the correct order of operations.