REA's book for the physics GRE

In summary, the book by REA is not representative of the actual physics GRE and is not helpful in preparing for the exam.
LHarriger
Is anyone out there also using (or has used) the REA book to prepare for the physics GRE. I keep finding what I think are errors and it would be nice if someone could verify they are finding the same mistakes. Also, in general, how useful did you find this book and what other preparations do you recommend.

Physics news on Phys.org
LHarriger said:
Is anyone out there also using (or has used) the REA book to prepare for the physics GRE. I keep finding what I think are errors and it would be nice if someone could verify they are finding the same mistakes. Also, in general, how useful did you find this book and what other preparations do you recommend.

i've heard that that book is crap and completely unrepresentative of what is actually on the exam.

Thanks for reinforcing what I was beginning to suspect. Since my last post I have found extremely obvious errors. Many of the problems are also set up so that you can only solve them using a calculator. Does anyone else have an opinion on this book or know a better one to use? I have only one month of prep time left.

The purple book is indeed crap. Just something slapped together and labeled with "GRE" to get your money. I found it worthless.

Perhaps A Guide to Physics Problems (2 parts) might be better, but it's not specific to the GRE. AGtPP is designed to prepare you for qualifying exams, though, so many of the problems are probably a lot harder than GRE problems.

Last edited:
i'm also finding REA's guide for the general GRE to be crap-tacular.

Avoid anything by REA. The only way to go is to study actual tests. Scans of them are floating around the net; you can find them on http://www.physicsgre.com" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "REA's book for the physics GRE"?

REA's book for the physics GRE is a study guide specifically designed to help students prepare for the physics subject test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). It includes practice questions, test-taking strategies, and content review for all major topics covered on the exam.

2. Is "REA's book for the physics GRE" sufficient for preparing for the exam?

While REA's book is a comprehensive and well-regarded study guide, it is always recommended to supplement your studying with additional resources such as past exams, other study guides, and online resources. Additionally, it is important to create a personalized study plan and allocate enough time for preparation.

3. How accurate is the content in "REA's book for the physics GRE"?

REA's book is written and reviewed by experts in the field of physics and is regularly updated to reflect any changes in the exam's content. However, it is always recommended to double-check information with other sources and to refer to the official GRE website for the most up-to-date information.

4. Can "REA's book for the physics GRE" help improve my score?

REA's book is a valuable resource for improving your score on the physics GRE. It provides practice questions and test-taking strategies that can help you become more familiar with the exam format and content. However, ultimately your score will depend on your individual studying efforts and understanding of the material.

5. Can "REA's book for the physics GRE" be used for other physics exams?

While REA's book is specifically designed for the physics GRE, the content and practice questions can also be beneficial for other physics exams such as the MCAT and advanced placement exams. However, it is always recommended to refer to other study materials that are specifically tailored to the exam you are preparing for.